Re: 9.0.4 run configure failed with readline enable on susu linux x86-64 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.0.4 run configure failed with readline enable on susu linux x86-64
Date
List pgsql-general
Jov <zhao6014@gmail.com> writes:
> ./configure --prefix=/data/pgsql
> --with-includes=/data/readline/include
> --with-libraries=/data/readline/lib

> failed with:
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> for the exact reason.

> and the config.log has not meanful message:

Yes it does, you just didn't show it to us.  The config.log file will
end with several hundred lines showing configure's current variable
values and #defines, but those are rarely very useful.  What you do want
to look at is the trace of the failed test ("checking test program"),
which will be right before those two lists.

> but if run configure without any args,it error with:
> checking for -lreadline... no
> checking for -ledit... no
> configure: error: readline library not found

Well, yeah, since your readline library is in a nonstandard place.

(Since this is a Linux system, I'll bet that the underlying problem is
that you didn't add /data/readline/lib to the ldconfig configuration.
Linux doesn't really like libraries in nonstandard places.  But why are
you using a homebrew readline build at all?  Your distro has certainly
got that available prepackaged.)

            regards, tom lane