Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Siva Palanisamy

Hi All,

I understand that copy and \copy commands in PostgreSQL work only for tables. I want it to export the data from varies tables. Instead, I can create a view for the list of tables. Can the copy or \copy commands be utilized to operate on views directly? Please let me know on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Siva.

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Siva Palanisamy <siva_p@hcl.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I understand that copy and \copy commands in PostgreSQL work only for tables. I
> want it to export the data from varies tables. Instead, I can create a view for
> the list of tables. Can the copy or \copy commands be utilized to operate on
> views directly? Please let me know on this.

Sure, you can do that (with recent versions) with:

copy (select * from your_view) to ...

Andreas

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Siva Palanisamy
Date:
Hi Andreas,

I tried the command as below. It failed. Please correct me.

\copy (select * from view1) to '/sample.csv' delimiters ',' csv header;
ERROR: \copy: parse error at "select"

Thanks and Regards,
Siva.

> I understand that copy and \copy commands in PostgreSQL work only for tables. I
> want it to export the data from varies tables. Instead, I can create a view for
> the list of tables. Can the copy or \copy commands be utilized to operate on
> views directly? Please let me know on this.

Sure, you can do that (with recent versions) with:

copy (select * from your_view) to ...

Andreas

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Siva Palanisamy
Date:
Hi Andreas,

FYI, I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

Thanks and Regards,
Siva.

> I understand that copy and \copy commands in PostgreSQL work only for tables. I
> want it to export the data from varies tables. Instead, I can create a view for
> the list of tables. Can the copy or \copy commands be utilized to operate on
> views directly? Please let me know on this.

Sure, you can do that (with recent versions) with:

copy (select * from your_view) to ...

Andreas

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Raghavendra
Date:
Nope, you need to be in latest version as Andreas said.
---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

> I understand that copy and \copy commands in PostgreSQL work only for tables. I
> want it to export the data from varies tables. Instead, I can create a view for
> the list of tables. Can the copy or \copy commands be utilized to operate on
> views directly? Please let me know on this.

Sure, you can do that (with recent versions) with:

copy (select * from your_view) to ...

Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."   (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°

::DISCLAIMER::

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Boszormenyi Zoltan
Date:
Hi,

COPY (SELECT ...) appeared in 8.2.x so you need to upgrade.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

> Hi Andreas,
>
> FYI, I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Siva.

----------------------------------
Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26
A-2700 Wiener Neustadt, Austria
Web: http://www.postgresql-support.de
     http://www.postgresql.at/

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Siva Palanisamy
Date:
Hi,

I have installed Windows version of Postgres 9.0.4 in my windows machine to test the new copy command as detailed in
thebelow e-mails. When I run the command in SQL Editor, I got permission error. But I am running as an administrator.

COMMAND: copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'
ERROR:  could not open file "C:/emp.csv" for writing: Permission denied
********** Error **********
ERROR: could not open file "C:/emp.csv" for writing: Permission denied
SQL state: 42501

COMMAND: \copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "\"
LINE 1: \copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'
        ^
********** Error **********
ERROR: syntax error at or near "\"
SQL state: 42601

Please correct me where I am going wrong. FYI, I am running under the administrator accounts of both Windows Login and
PostgreSQL.

Thanks and Regards,
Siva.

COPY (SELECT ...) appeared in 8.2.x so you need to upgrade.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

> Hi Andreas,
>
> FYI, I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Siva.

Two things,
1. you need to have a proper permissions where the .csv file creating.
2. In windows you need to use as below
postgres=#\copy (select * from employee) to 'C:\\emp.sql'

Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On 11/08/2011 7:56 PM, Siva Palanisamy wrote:

 > FYI, I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.4.

Argh, ogod why?!?!?!

That version is *totally* unsupported on Windows. Not only that, but
you're running an ancient point-release - you are missing *19* patch
releases worth of bug fixes. The latest point-release is 8.1.23 !

Here is a list of all the fixes you are missing out on:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/release.html

> I have installed Windows version of Postgres 9.0.4 in my windows machine to test the new copy command as detailed in
thebelow e-mails. When I run the command in SQL Editor, I got permission error. But I am running as an administrator.

> COMMAND: copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'
> ERROR:  could not open file "C:/emp.csv" for writing: Permission denied
> ********** Error **********
> ERROR: could not open file "C:/emp.csv" for writing: Permission denied
> SQL state: 42501

The COPY command (as distinct from \copy) runs on the server-side so it
has the permissions of the "postgres" user. You must save the file
somewhere the "postgres" user as write access. Either create a folder
and give "full control" to the user "postgres", or write the export
within the existing postgresql data directory.

> COMMAND: \copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "\"
> LINE 1: \copy (select * from employee) to 'C:/emp.csv'

You are not using psql. "\copy" is a psql command. I don't think it's
supported by PgAdmin III, though I could be wrong.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Copy command to handle view for my export requirement

From
Raghavendra

You are not using psql. "\copy" is a psql command. I don't think it's supported by PgAdmin III, though I could be wrong.

Right, '\copy'  is not supported in PgAdmin III.

--Raghav