PostgreSQL documentation on kindle - best practices?

From
Harald Armin Massa
Date:
my google-fu lead me to the following receipts:

- create HTML documentation as single file, use Calibre to convert
- use downloadable HTML-documentation, convert via Calibre (minor
problems are reported, as in "wrong order of sections")
- download PDF and convert via Calibre
- download PDF and put on kindle

.... 1-3 and use different conversion tools.

So my question: has anyone found a best practice solution to convert
the PostgreSQL documentaiton into a kindle-friendly format? Or has
even an .azw file downloadable somewhere?

Best wishes,

Harald

--
Harald Armin Massa     www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL  Training, Services  and Support

2ndQuadrant Deutschland GmbH
GF: Harald Armin Massa
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 736399

Re: PostgreSQL documentation on kindle - best practices?

From
John R Pierce
Date:
On 04/04/11 1:47 AM, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
> my google-fu lead me to the following receipts:
>
> - create HTML documentation as single file, use Calibre to convert
> - use downloadable HTML-documentation, convert via Calibre (minor
> problems are reported, as in "wrong order of sections")
> - download PDF and convert via Calibre
> - download PDF and put on kindle
>
> .... 1-3 and use different conversion tools.
>
> So my question: has anyone found a best practice solution to convert
> the PostgreSQL documentaiton into a kindle-friendly format? Or has
> even an .azw file downloadable somewhere?

if kindle can view PDFs, I dunno why you wouldn't use that, unless its a
page size issue.

Re: PostgreSQL documentation on kindle - best practices?

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 4 April 2011 09:52, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 04/04/11 1:47 AM, Harald Armin Massa wrote:
>>
>> my google-fu lead me to the following receipts:
>>
>> - create HTML documentation as single file, use Calibre to convert
>> - use downloadable HTML-documentation, convert via Calibre (minor
>> problems are reported, as in "wrong order of sections")
>> - download PDF and convert via Calibre
>> - download PDF and put on kindle
>>
>> .... 1-3 and use different conversion tools.
>>
>> So my question: has anyone found a best practice solution to convert
>> the PostgreSQL documentaiton into a kindle-friendly format? Or has
>> even an .azw file downloadable somewhere?
>
> if kindle can view PDFs, I dunno why you wouldn't use that, unless its a

The problem with PDFs are that they are fixed-size, in that you have
to zoom in and scroll around the page to read everything on a Kindle.
An e-book format would re-flow content to match the e-book reader and
allow the user to adjust text size.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PostgreSQL documentation on kindle - best practices?

From
Jayadevan M

> So my question: has anyone found a best practice solution to convert
> the PostgreSQL documentaiton into a kindle-friendly format? Or has
> even an .azw file downloadable somewhere?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Harald
You could always send the pdf file and get it converted to kindle format, free of cost. It is not a good idea to try and read pdf files in Kindle.

You have to send the pdf file to <kindleusername>@free.kindle.com
Regards,
Jayadevan

DISCLAIMER:

"The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

Re: PostgreSQL documentation on kindle - best practices?

From
ray
Date:
On Apr 4, 4:00 am, Jayadevan.Maym...@ibsplc.com (Jayadevan M) wrote:
> > So my question: has anyone found a best practice solution to convert
> > the PostgreSQL documentaiton into a kindle-friendly format? Or has
> > even an .azw file downloadable somewhere?
>
> > Best wishes,
>
> > Harald
>
> You could always send the pdf file and get it converted to kindle format,
> free of cost. It is not a good idea to try and read pdf files in Kindle.
> You have to send the pdf file to <kindleusername>@free.kindle.com
> Regards,
> Jayadevan
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended only for
> the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly
> contact the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication.
> IBS makes no warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy,
> adequacy or completeness of the information contained in this email or any
> attachment and is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses
> or for resultant loss or damage, if any, direct or indirect."

I looks like a tagged PDF will reflow on supporting devices such as
kindle.  EPUB seems to be an alternative.
http://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+reflow&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

ray