many schemas or many databases

From
Szymon Guz
Date:
Hi,
is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many databases and a database with many schemas?

I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically disjoint schemas.
I could import that into PostgreSQL as many different databases, or as one database with many schemas.

From the application point of view it could be easier to have different databases, as for now the applications log in into different schemas, so this behavior wouldn't change.

Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?

regards
Szymon

Re: many schemas or many databases

From
Thomas Markus
Date:
hi,

i would prefer many schemas. advantages:
- one backup/restore for all (or selective)
- one connection pool
- simple access to all schemas

regards
thomas

Am 08.02.2011 09:30, schrieb Szymon Guz:
> Hi,
> is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many databases and
> a database with many schemas?
>
> I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically disjoint
> schemas.
> I could import that into PostgreSQL as many different databases, or as one
> database with many schemas.
>
>  From the application point of view it could be easier to have different
> databases, as for now the applications log in into different schemas, so
> this behavior wouldn't change.
>
> Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?
>

> regards
> Szymon

Re: many schemas or many databases

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hi

2011/2/8 Thomas Markus <t.markus@proventis.net>:
> hi,
>
> i would prefer many schemas. advantages:
> - one backup/restore for all (or selective)
> - one connection pool
> - simple access to all schemas

+1

and one disadvantage

- impossible separation on independent hw, when it is necessary or
when you has more hw

Depends on application and size of data - if you has lot of logs, or
some like OLAP data, then is very practical use more than one
database.

Regards

Pavel Stehule

> regards
> thomas
>

> Am 08.02.2011 09:30, schrieb Szymon Guz:
>>
>> Hi,
>> is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many databases
>> and
>> a database with many schemas?
>>
>> I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically disjoint
>> schemas.
>> I could import that into PostgreSQL as many different databases, or as one
>> database with many schemas.
>>
>>  From the application point of view it could be easier to have different
>> databases, as for now the applications log in into different schemas, so
>> this behavior wouldn't change.
>>
>> Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?
>>

>> regards
>> Szymon

Re: many schemas or many databases

From
Ivano Luberti

Il 08/02/2011 10.42, Pavel Stehule ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> 2011/2/8 Thomas Markus <t.markus@proventis.net>:
>> hi,
>>
>> i would prefer many schemas. advantages:
>> - one backup/restore for all (or selective)

But this also means if one crashes all crash.
And lack of flexibility in deployments.

It heavily depends in what grade of independence you want among the
applications.

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: many schemas or many databases

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Szymon Guz, 08.02.2011 09:30:
> Hi, is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many
> databases and a database with many schemas?
>
> I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically
> disjoint schemas. I could import that into PostgreSQL as many
> different databases, or as one database with many schemas.
>
> From the application point of view it could be easier to have
> different databases, as for now the applications log in into
> different schemas, so this behavior wouldn't change.
>
> Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?

I think the question is: do you have queries that retrieve data from different schemas in Oracle?
If so then the only way to go in PostgreSQL is to use multiple schemas.

If you don't need cross-schema/database queries then I don't think there is none of the solution is particular better
thanthe other. Both have advantages and disadvantages (as described by the other posters)

Regards
Thomas