many schemas or many databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Guz
Subject many schemas or many databases
Date
Re: many schemas or many databases  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many databases and a database with many schemas?

I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically disjoint schemas.
I could import that into PostgreSQL as many different databases, or as one database with many schemas.

From the application point of view it could be easier to have different databases, as for now the applications log in into different schemas, so this behavior wouldn't change.

Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?

regards
Szymon