Re: many schemas or many databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: many schemas or many databases
Date
List pgsql-general
Szymon Guz, 08.02.2011 09:30:
> Hi, is there any noticeable difference between a cluster with many
> databases and a database with many schemas?
>
> I've got a quite huge database on Oracle with about 400 logically
> disjoint schemas. I could import that into PostgreSQL as many
> different databases, or as one database with many schemas.
>
> From the application point of view it could be easier to have
> different databases, as for now the applications log in into
> different schemas, so this behavior wouldn't change.
>
> Do you see any drawbacks of any of the solutions?

I think the question is: do you have queries that retrieve data from different schemas in Oracle?
If so then the only way to go in PostgreSQL is to use multiple schemas.

If you don't need cross-schema/database queries then I don't think there is none of the solution is particular better
thanthe other. Both have advantages and disadvantages (as described by the other posters)

Regards
Thomas