Book recommendation?

From
Herouth Maoz
Date:
As a result of my recent encounter with table bloat and other tuning issues I've been running into, I'm looking for a
goodresource for improving my tuning skills.

My sysadmin ran into the following book:

PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
http://amzn.com/184951030X

Which covers versions 8.1 through 9.

Any opinions on this book? Other suggestions?

Thank you,
Herouth

Re: Book recommendation?

From
tv@fuzzy.cz
Date:
> As a result of my recent encounter with table bloat and other tuning
> issues I've been running into, I'm looking for a good resource for
> improving my tuning skills.
>
> My sysadmin ran into the following book:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
> http://amzn.com/184951030X
>
> Which covers versions 8.1 through 9.
>
> Any opinions on this book? Other suggestions?

100% positive - go and buy it. It's very thorough, it covers a lot of
associated topics (hw, filesystem, ...) and it's fresh. There were several
reviews at planet.postgresql.org and all of them weve very positive.

regards
Tomas

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Jeff Ross
Date:
On 02/01/11 08:55, Herouth Maoz wrote:
> As a result of my recent encounter with table bloat and other tuning issues I've been running into, I'm looking for a
goodresource for improving my tuning skills.

> My sysadmin ran into the following book:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
> http://amzn.com/184951030X
>
> Which covers versions 8.1 through 9.
>
> Any opinions on this book? Other suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
> Herouth

I bought this when it first came out.  I bought the pdf version directly
from Packt bundled with the PostgreSQL 9 Admin Cookbook for an amazingly
low price.

I doubt you'll find a better book resource for recent versions of
PostgreSQL.  Both are  well and clearly written, and cover a lot of
ground in great detail.

Greg Smith has helped me and countless others on this and the
Performance list and he is truly an authoritative resource.

Jeff

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Ross <jross@wykids.org> wrote:
> I doubt you'll find a better book resource for recent versions of
> PostgreSQL.  Both are  well and clearly written, and cover a lot of ground
> in great detail.
>
> Greg Smith has helped me and countless others on this and the Performance
> list and he is truly an authoritative resource.

I've hired Greg for performance tuning work, and I must say he
*really* knows what he's doing. I've read some chapters in the book
and he seems to get across his knowledge very well into those pages.

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
herouth@unicell.co.il (Herouth Maoz) writes:
> As a result of my recent encounter with table bloat and other tuning
> issues I've been running into, I'm looking for a good resource for
> improving my tuning skills.
>
> My sysadmin ran into the following book:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
> http://amzn.com/184951030X
>
> Which covers versions 8.1 through 9.
>
> Any opinions on this book? Other suggestions?

It's the best thing in that vein that is available, and is rather good.

The only thing that's *somewhat* comparable is _PostgreSQL_ by Korry
Douglas & Susan Douglas, which, alas, is now 7 years old, and thus
rather dated.  It was the one reference that had substantive material on
query planning, though that's likely somewhat less relevant to you.

You should certainly take a look at Greg Smith's book.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/finances.html

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Herouth Maoz <herouth@unicell.co.il> wrote:
> My sysadmin ran into the following book:
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
> http://amzn.com/184951030X

highly recommended.  Also take a look at the pg admin cookbook from packt.

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Greg Smith

Re: Book recommendation?

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 1 Feb 2011, at 21:15, Greg Smith wrote:

> Herouth Maoz wrote:
>> My sysadmin ran into the following book:
>>
>> PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance, by Gregory Smith, ISBN 184951030X
>> http://amzn.com/184951030X
>>

> That guy's a troublemaker, but I guess he writes OK.

It must be tough to be reminded of him every time you look into a mirror.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4d487b6011733122416624!