PG website testing

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi all,

We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.

Thanks :)

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: PG website testing

From
Cédric Villemain
Date:
2010/10/4 Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.

looks fine with iceweasel and konqueror.

> Thanks :)
>
> --
> Thom Brown
> Twitter: @darkixion
> IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
> Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: PG website testing

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Thom Brown wrote on 04.10.2010 20:40:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.

Looks good on Firefox 3.6, Windows XP

But I can't see a big difference to the live documents

In fact the fixed font e.g. on
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-default.html

is a tiny bit bigger than  on
http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/ddl-default.html

Looking at the CSS, the current live site is configured to use 1.4em for the fixed font, whereas your site uses 1.2em
soit does make sense that it's a little bit large on the live site.

Regards
Thomas

Re: PG website testing

From
Carlos Mennens
Date:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>
> Thanks :)

I opened it using Google Chrome 6.0.472.63 & saw no font rollover
issues or any issues.

Re: PG website testing

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 4 October 2010 21:58, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Thom Brown wrote on 04.10.2010 20:40:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
>> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
>> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
>> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
>> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
>> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>>

> Looks good on Firefox 3.6, Windows XP
>
> But I can't see a big difference to the live documents
>
> In fact the fixed font e.g. on
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-default.html
>
> is a tiny bit bigger than  on
> http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/ddl-default.html
>
> Looking at the CSS, the current live site is configured to use 1.4em for the
> fixed font, whereas your site uses 1.2em so it does make sense that it's a
> little bit large on the live site.

The difference is that the current live documents uses a special CSS
file for some browsers to correct the size difference in monospace
fonts, whereas the new one doesn't use any new CSS file and calculates
the difference between the font sizes, and adjusts the monospace font
to bring it more in line with proportional fonts if there's any
difference.

Do you see the reduction in size compared to the live site an issue?
I'm wondering if there's a better way to determine the correct size.
Even when the monospace fonts are the exact pixel size of the
in Firefox on Ubuntu.

--

Date:
Thom Brown wrote on 04.10.2010 23:24:
> Do you see the reduction in size compared to the live site an issue?
No, not at all.

I just wanted to mention it, in case you are interested.
I think both sizes are just fine.

Regards
Thomas

Re: PG website testing

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>
> Thanks :)

good to go on firefox 3.5.9/ubuntu.  I also use the funky setting that
allows you to force your own fonts over the page specified ones fwiw.

Re: PG website testing

From
"Lumber Cartel, local 42"
Date:
On Oct 4, 11:40 am, t...@linux.com (Thom Brown) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>
> Thanks :)

I'm using Opera 10 on Windows 7 (64-bit), and the fonts look good
(professional, as usual), and also appear to have the correct
proportions when I use Opera's built-in zoom feature to shrink or
enlarge the page view.  I also really like the rounded corners for the
slightly darker (just the right amount in my opinion) boxes around the
fixed-width fonts, such as can be seen on this page:

http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-listen.html

One suggestion (low priority, but would be nice to have), just in case
you're interested:  Make the keywords link to their respective pages
from this page:  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-keywords-appendix.html

--
The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Re: PG website testing

From
Alban Hertroys
Date:
On 4 Oct 2010, at 20:40, Thom Brown wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>
> Thanks :)

The font displays a bit smaller than on the live site using Safari 5.0.2, but it seems to make some of the
documentationeasier to read - especially when there's lots of monospaced text in it. With the smaller size the code
alsodoesn't catch the eye as much, of course.

One thing I noticed is that the italic version of the lower-case 'e' looks a little smeared along the horizontal line
insidethe curl. For example in: http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-aggregate.html

In Firefox 4b6 the monospace text looks a bit compressed at the top, like something heavy has been lying on it for too
long.Not sure how to describe it, but the top half of the font seems smaller than it should be.

I attached some small screen-shots of those "problems" so that you can judge yourself.

Good work on how the documentation looks as of late btw, they're a pleasure to read. Even more so than before.

!DSPAM:737,4cab6464678301219212522!

!DSPAM:737,4cab6464678301219212522!

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4cab6464678301219212522!

Attachment

Re: PG website testing

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 5 October 2010 18:45, Alban Hertroys
<dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> On 4 Oct 2010, at 20:40, Thom Brown wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
>> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
>> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
>> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
>> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
>> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.
>>
>> Thanks :)
>

> The font displays a bit smaller than on the live site using Safari 5.0.2, but it seems to make some of the
documentationeasier to read - especially when there's lots of monospaced text in it. With the smaller size the code
alsodoesn't catch the eye as much, of course.

> One thing I noticed is that the italic version of the lower-case 'e' looks a little smeared along the horizontal line
insidethe curl. For example in: http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/functions-aggregate.html

> In Firefox 4b6 the monospace text looks a bit compressed at the top, like something heavy has been lying on it for
toolong. Not sure how to describe it, but the top half of the font seems smaller than it should be.

> I attached some small screen-shots of those "problems" so that you can judge yourself.
>
> Good work on how the documentation looks as of late btw, they're a pleasure to read. Even more so than before.

Thanks for the feedback.

To me your attached images look quite normal.  I do, however, still
get the feeling the font is a tad too small in Firefox.  It calculates
a size change of 1.33(recurring), which gets rounded down to 1.3em.
I'm wondering if this should be rounded up.  It certainly looks more
consistent in Firefox and Chrome, and should have no effect in Opera.
Since I've only just done this, I can't test it in IE until I have a
look at work tomorrow:
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/functions-datetime.html

Any better?  Worse?

--

Date:
On 5 Oct 2010, at 20:24, Thom Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> To me your attached images look quite normal.  I do, however, still
> get the feeling the font is a tad too small in Firefox.  It calculates
> a size change of 1.33(recurring), which gets rounded down to 1.3em.
> I'm wondering if this should be rounded up.  It certainly looks more
> consistent in Firefox and Chrome, and should have no effect in Opera.
> Since I've only just done this, I can't test it in IE until I have a
> look at work tomorrow:
> http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/8.4/static/functions-datetime.html
>
> Any better?  Worse?

Well, hard to say... they certainly look a bit rounder, which was probably what was off in the previous version, but
nowthey are indeed a little large in comparison with the other fonts. In the end I think I liked the smaller version a
littlebetter, but that's just my opinion of course.

It's probably nearly impossible to get this exactly right as long as people are looking at course anti-aliased LCD
displays,but I suppose that's what the current style-sheet is aimed at (you probably  have a different one for
@media=print,I didn't check).

I've also just discovered that I find the 'text-size: Large' version less tense on the eyes - I must be getting old...

One thing that's a bit annoying with the Large version is that if you give the table  (Table 9-27. Date/Time Functions
forexample, in the page you linked above) enough space that the text in the examples/results doesn't wrap too much,
thatthe lines of normal text get so long that they're no longer easy to read...

I'm not sure what to do about that, but I get the feeling that it's not necessary to put all 5 columns (Function,
ReturnType, Description, Example & Result) next to each other on the same row. That definitely looks a bit cramped, and
it'sa lot of information to take in all at once.

Possibly either the description or the example could be moved above or below the function definition? Those examples
couldalso do with a different styling to set them apart from the description (maybe a slightly less white background
colour?).

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4cab76da678305275619103!

Re: PG website testing

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Excerpts from Thom Brown's message of lun oct 04 14:40:23 -0400 2010:
> Hi all,
>
> We're currently testing a new javascript change on the PostgreSQL
> docs.  This is to make sure monospaced fonts still appear at a
> reasonable size between browsers.  I'd appreciate it if some of you
> could do some browser testing.  http://magnus.webdev.postgresql.org/
> Only docs for 8.3 and below are available.  Please also check the main
> site for font issues, and post any issues you find here.

Looks great on Epiphany-webkit (Gnome browser).

I also checked the other page you linked to downthread, which rounds up
the font size; it does indeed look slightly larger; TBH the difference
is slight and I don't have much of a preference (though I don't care
much for the problem that this is supposed to fix, either).  I'd say
+1.5 to the rounded-up version, +1 for the original change.