libpq: compatibility with server versions

From
"fkater@googlemail.com"
Date:
Hi all,

I am using libpq 8.2.4 (and my own wrapper around it) for a
long time now. Due to some performance penalties I would
like to upgrade to 8.4.x libpq.

Is it o.k. if I upgraded my libpq to the newer 8.4
libraries but would still connect to old 8.2 servers?

Are there any compatibility issues to be aware of?

(I am not talking about upgrading the server nor the steps
to take for upgrading the data itself.)

Thank You
 Felix

Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Felix wrote:
> I am using libpq 8.2.4 (and my own wrapper around it) for a
> long time now. Due to some performance penalties I would
> like to upgrade to 8.4.x libpq.
>
> Is it o.k. if I upgraded my libpq to the newer 8.4
> libraries but would still connect to old 8.2 servers?
>
> Are there any compatibility issues to be aware of?

I don't think so.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions

From
Vick Khera
Date:
On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM, fkater@googlemail.com
<fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am using libpq 8.2.4 (and my own wrapper around it) for a
> long time now. Due to some performance penalties I would
> like to upgrade to 8.4.x libpq.

What gives you the impression that updating the client library will
improve your performance for anything?  I don't see how that would
help at all.

What specific penalties are you getting?

Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions

From
"fkater@googlemail.com"
Vick Khera:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM, fkater@googlemail.com
> <fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I am using libpq 8.2.4 (and my own wrapper around it) for a
> > long time now. Due to some performance penalties I would
> > like to upgrade to 8.4.x libpq.
> >

> What gives you the impression that updating the client library will
> improve your performance for anything?  I don't see how that would
> help at all.

Misunderstanding, sorry: I meant the better performance of
the 8.4 *server* and would like to update libpq therefore as
well. The question was, what however happens if I then need
to connect to older (8.2) servers using the newer (8.4) libpq
libraries.

May I, the other way round, assume from your reply that
there is neither a disadvantage nor a compatibility issue
when I stick to libpq 8.2 (not upgrading to 8.4) but update
the *server* to 8.4?

Date:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM, fkater@googlemail.com
<fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:
> May I, the other way round, assume from your reply that
> there is neither a disadvantage nor a compatibility issue
> when I stick to libpq 8.2 (not upgrading to 8.4) but update
> the *server* to 8.4?

The 8.2 client library will speak just fine to 8.4 server.  The client
utilities (such as psql, pg_dump, etc) should match version numbers
for best compatibility.

What I'd do is first upgrade the server to 8.4, then the client.  Or
upgrade the client while you're doing your dump/restore to upgrade
from 8.2 to 8.4.