Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vick Khera
Subject Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM, fkater@googlemail.com
<fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:
> May I, the other way round, assume from your reply that
> there is neither a disadvantage nor a compatibility issue
> when I stick to libpq 8.2 (not upgrading to 8.4) but update
> the *server* to 8.4?

The 8.2 client library will speak just fine to 8.4 server.  The client
utilities (such as psql, pg_dump, etc) should match version numbers
for best compatibility.

What I'd do is first upgrade the server to 8.4, then the client.  Or
upgrade the client while you're doing your dump/restore to upgrade
from 8.2 to 8.4.