Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From fkater@googlemail.com
Subject Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions
Date
List pgsql-general
Vick Khera:

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 4:33 PM, fkater@googlemail.com
> <fkater@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I am using libpq 8.2.4 (and my own wrapper around it) for a
> > long time now. Due to some performance penalties I would
> > like to upgrade to 8.4.x libpq.
> >

> What gives you the impression that updating the client library will
> improve your performance for anything?  I don't see how that would
> help at all.

Misunderstanding, sorry: I meant the better performance of
the 8.4 *server* and would like to update libpq therefore as
well. The question was, what however happens if I then need
to connect to older (8.2) servers using the newer (8.4) libpq
libraries.

May I, the other way round, assume from your reply that
there is neither a disadvantage nor a compatibility issue
when I stick to libpq 8.2 (not upgrading to 8.4) but update
the *server* to 8.4?

 Felix