Add pg server to cluster

From
AlannY
Date:
Hi there.

I'm using PostgreSQL as my main database engine. Everything works.

I have one server for PostgreSQL, and space on it are lowing down.

I want to buy a new server and somehow connect it with first one, that
PostgreSQL will use this new server's HDD. I don't want to buy new HDD
for the first server, because I don't have a space in server box.

So, currently PostgreSQL data are located in /var/lib/pgsql/data
folder. If I connect new server, how should I connect new server's
folders to this directory, so PostgreSQL can add space for its data?

Or maybe it's unreal to do? Unreal to use several network folders for
data? I'm new in clustering... Maybe it's possible to split up data
folder (and the mount it via NFS, for example)?

Thanks for patients.

--
   )\._.,--....,'``.
  /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,.

Re: Add pg server to cluster

From
Scott Mead

I'm using PostgreSQL as my main database engine. Everything works.

I have one server for PostgreSQL, and space on it are lowing down.

I want to buy a new server and somehow connect it with first one, that
PostgreSQL will use this new server's HDD. I don't want to buy new HDD
for the first server, because I don't have a space in server box.

So, currently PostgreSQL data are located in /var/lib/pgsql/data
folder. If I connect new server, how should I connect new server's
folders to this directory, so PostgreSQL can add space for its data?

Or maybe it's unreal to do? Unreal to use several network folders for
data? I'm new in clustering... Maybe it's possible to split up data
folder (and the mount it via NFS, for example)?

You have a couple of options:

     NFS

         Works well, just make sure you're running with 'sync' enabled, or you could lose some data

     iSCSI

         Works slightly better, usually a more performant solution (in my experience).  It's nice too because you could always upgrade to a hardware based iSCSI controller if need be.

     If you're looking to upgrade though, why not just move the database to the new server so that you can avoid this problem in the first place?  Keeping the database running with local storage is usually going to perform better, unless you move up to an Enterprise SAN or something along those lines.

--Scott

John R Pierce
AlannY wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm using PostgreSQL as my main database engine. Everything works.
>
> I have one server for PostgreSQL, and space on it are lowing down.
>
> I want to buy a new server and somehow connect it with first one, that
> PostgreSQL will use this new server's HDD. I don't want to buy new HDD
> for the first server, because I don't have a space in server box.

For the requirements you've given above, buy an external storage array
instead of a new server  put a SAS card in your server, and a SAS/SATA
bay as large as you need for additional disks.    once these additional
disks are formatted and mounted as a file system, which I'm going to
call /u00 here, I'd do something like...

    1) shut down postgres
    2) mv /var/lib/pgsql/data /u00/pgdata
    3) ln -s /u00/pgdata /var/lib/pgsql
    4) restart postgres

and poof, LOTS of space.

example such enclosure, this one holds 12 3.5" SAS/SATA drives in a 2U
chassis, and is strictly something I googled, I have no experience with
the vendor or OEM
http://www.aicipc.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ref=XJ1100%20series%20-%202U%2012-bay
I would format a unit like this as raid10 using your OS's native raid
(mdadm on linux, zpool on solaris, etc).

for the SAS card, I'd lean towards a LSI Logic, such as
http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/host_bus_adapters/sas_hbas/external/sas9200-8e/index.html

Re: Add pg server to cluster

From
AlannY
Date:
On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:12:03PM -0500, Scott Mead wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM, AlannY <m@alanny.ru> wrote:
>
> You have a couple of options:
>
>      NFS
>
>          Works well, just make sure you're running with 'sync' enabled, or
> you could lose some data

What should I do exactly? Create NFS folder in new server? And then?
Mount NFS folder to /var/lib/pgsql/data? If so, I will confront with
space problem again, when space will ends at the new server...

Or maybe there are more advanced modes with NFS?

--
   )\._.,--....,'``.
  /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,.

Re: Add pg server to cluster

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On Monday 07 December 2009, AlannY <m@alanny.ru> wrote:
> What should I do exactly? Create NFS folder in new server? And then?
> Mount NFS folder to /var/lib/pgsql/data? If so, I will confront with
> space problem again, when space will ends at the new server...
>
> Or maybe there are more advanced modes with NFS?

You can create tablespaces on different mount points. But seriously, don't
use NFS across multiple servers for a database. Like another poster
suggested, buy an external storage chassis and hook it up.

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."