Re: Add pg server to cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: Add pg server to cluster
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM, AlannY <m@alanny.ru> wrote:
Hi there.

I'm using PostgreSQL as my main database engine. Everything works.

I have one server for PostgreSQL, and space on it are lowing down.

I want to buy a new server and somehow connect it with first one, that
PostgreSQL will use this new server's HDD. I don't want to buy new HDD
for the first server, because I don't have a space in server box.

So, currently PostgreSQL data are located in /var/lib/pgsql/data
folder. If I connect new server, how should I connect new server's
folders to this directory, so PostgreSQL can add space for its data?

Or maybe it's unreal to do? Unreal to use several network folders for
data? I'm new in clustering... Maybe it's possible to split up data
folder (and the mount it via NFS, for example)?

You have a couple of options:

     NFS

         Works well, just make sure you're running with 'sync' enabled, or you could lose some data

     iSCSI

         Works slightly better, usually a more performant solution (in my experience).  It's nice too because you could always upgrade to a hardware based iSCSI controller if need be.

     If you're looking to upgrade though, why not just move the database to the new server so that you can avoid this problem in the first place?  Keeping the database running with local storage is usually going to perform better, unless you move up to an Enterprise SAN or something along those lines.

--Scott