Schema diff tool?

From
David Kerr
Date:
Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in the
community?

I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.

(and then create an alter script for the original)

We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
David Kerr
Date:
we're on v7.2.8

there's no pg specific option so we've been using ODBC as the "database"
type and the alter's it generates are just ugly.

Dave

Boyd, Craig wrote:
> What version of ERwin are you using?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Boyd
>
> David Kerr wrote:
>> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
>> the community?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
>> indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.
>>
>> (and then create an alter script for the original)
>>
>> We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
"Boyd, Craig"
Date:

David Kerr wrote:
> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
> the community?
>
> I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
> indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.
>
> (and then create an alter script for the original)
>
> We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.
>

> Thanks
>
> Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
"Boyd, Craig"
Date:
We are on 7.3.0.1666.

ODBC alter scripts do tend to be, um, ugly.
When you do the CC are restricting the objects you CC?  Try to keep it
as minimal as possible.  If I get some time over the weekend I will see
what I can do.  No promises though as it is already pretty booked. :)
If I do get the time then I will send you the options xml and the steps
I used to recreate.

Thanks,

Craig Boyd

David Kerr wrote:
> we're on v7.2.8
>
> there's no pg specific option so we've been using ODBC as the
> "database" type and the alter's it generates are just ugly.
>
> Dave
>
> Boyd, Craig wrote:
>> What version of ERwin are you using?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig Boyd
>>
>> David Kerr wrote:
>>> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
>>> the community?
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes,
>>> new indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.
>>>
>>> (and then create an alter script for the original)
>>>
>>> We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
David Kerr
Date:
- ODBC alter scripts do tend to be, um, ugly.
- When you do the CC are restricting the objects you CC?  Try to keep it
- as minimal as possible.  If I get some time over the weekend I will see
- what I can do.  No promises though as it is already pretty booked. :)
- If I do get the time then I will send you the options xml and the steps
- I used to recreate.
-
- Thanks,
-
- Craig Boyd

Yeah, we're not selecting everything in the complete compare area. But we're
currently doing a lot of data type changes, field names, adding/removing columns
and ERWin does crazy things in those areas =)

Don't work too hard, I don't mind too much that my data modelers lives are tough ;)

Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
Joshua Tolley
Date:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:43:49AM -0700, David Kerr wrote:
> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in the
> community?

check_postgres.pl will compare schemas and report on results.
http://bucardo.org/check_postgres/

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Attachment

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
Miroslav S(ulc
Date:
Some time ago, i created this tool: http://apgdiff.sourceforge.net/

Miroslav

David Kerr napsal(a):
> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
> the community?
>
> I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
> indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.
>
> (and then create an alter script for the original)
>
> We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.
>

> Thanks
>
> Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
David Kerr
Date:
thanks that seems to do the trick!

Dave

Miroslav S wrote:
> Some time ago, i created this tool: http://apgdiff.sourceforge.net/
>
> Miroslav
>
> David Kerr napsal(a):
>> Is there a default/standard (free) schema diff tool that's in use in
>> the community?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to quickly identify new columns, data changes, new
>> indexes, etc between 2 schema versions.
>>
>> (and then create an alter script for the original)
>>
>> We're using ERWin as our modeling tool, but it's diff's stink.
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

Re: Schema diff tool?

From
Sualeh Fatehi
Date:
Dave,

The free and open-source SchemaCrawler for PostGresql tool will do
what you need. SchemaCrawler outputs details of your schema (tables,
views, procedures, and more) in a diff-able plain-text format (text,
CSV, or XHTML). SchemaCrawler can also output data (including CLOBs
and BLOBs) in the same plain-text formats. You can use a standard diff
program to diff the current output with a reference version of the
output. SchemaCrawler can be run either from the command line, or as
an ant task. A lot of examples are available with the download to help
you get started.

SchemaCrawler comes with SchemaCrawler Grep, a command line tool that
allows you to search your schema for columns and tables that match a
regular expression. SchemaCrawler can also generate E-R diagrams.

SchemaCrawler is a free, open-source, cross-platform (operating system
and database) tool, written in Java, that is available at
SourceForge:
http://schemacrawler.sourceforge.net/

Sualeh Fatehi.