Getting database data from the PostgreSQL file system

From
"Ewgenij Sokolovski"
Date:
Hello, Guys! Is that kind of thing possible at all? We have a problem that our database is corrupted, and we are not
ableto get any table data by executing SQL requests/running the PG_Admin tool. So, we thought, maybe it is possible to
retrievedata by accessing the data storage directly. The data folder of PostgreSQL is there, so, theoretically, we
shouldbe able to retrieve all we need, shouldn't we?:)

Best regards
Ewgenij

Re: Getting database data from the PostgreSQL file system

From
Serge Fonville
Date:
Hi,

Hello, Guys! Is that kind of thing possible at all? We have a problem that our database is corrupted, and we are not able to get any table data by executing SQL requests/running the PG_Admin tool. So, we thought, maybe it is possible to retrieve data by accessing the data storage directly. The data folder of PostgreSQL is there, so, theoretically, we should be able to retrieve all we need, shouldn't we?:)

What errors exactly did you get, what commands did you do, how did you dermine the issue, have you googled.
I suspect you want to read the raw data of some sort without needing the information to interpret that data?
After googling for restore corrupted postgresql, I found http://cobaltfaqs.com/index.php/Rebuilding_corrupt_PostgreSQL_database, which may be relevant.

Perhaps you need to specify the exact error you get...

HTH.

Regards,

Serge Fonville

Re: Getting database data from the PostgreSQL file system

From
Greg Stark
Date:
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Ewgenij Sokolovski<ewgenijkkg@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello, Guys! Is that kind of thing possible at all? We have a problem that our database is corrupted, and we are not
ableto get any table data by executing SQL requests/running the PG_Admin tool. So, we thought, maybe it is possible to
retrievedata by accessing the data storage directly. The data folder of PostgreSQL is there, so, theoretically, we
shouldbe able to retrieve all we need, shouldn't we?:)

In theory yes, in practice the tool to do it would look a lot like postgres...

What corruption symptoms are you actually seeing?

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf