Hi all,
     I am a DB newbie and I am facing an issue.
     I installed postgresql in windows - and now I am facing an issue while trying to read sql commands from file.

testdb=# \i c:\testdb.txt
c:: Permission denied

     I tried moving the file to the shared folder, but of no use.
testdb=# \i  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DB\testdb.txt
C:: Permission denied

     I have a lot of sql commands in the file, so it is difficult to type in the same everytime.
     If somebody can help me out on this, I would be much obliged.

Thank you in advance,
Regards,
Raj

Re: Reg: Permission error in Windows psql while trying to read sql commands from file

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 11/10/2008 18:38, Raj K wrote:
> testdb=# \i c:\testdb.txt
> c:: Permission denied

Apologies for the silly question, but did you actually check the
permissions on the file to see if you are allowed to read it?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Since it is in windows - I could not find any specific file permission mechanisms similar to linux. (This is my first foray in windows - so I am a newbie there too )
The computer is not in a network. So, through googling, I found that to share it, we have to move it to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ - which I did.

But even that did not help - as mentioned in the first mail.

If you could help me on this I would be much obliged..

Regards
Raj

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 09:25 +0530, Raj K wrote:
> Since it is in windows - I could not find any specific file permission
> mechanisms similar to linux. (This is my first foray in windows - so I
> am a newbie there too )
> The computer is not in a network. So, through googling, I found that
> to share it, we have to move it to
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ - which I did.
>
> But even that did not help - as mentioned in the first mail.

Try using forward slashes in your path:
testdb=# \i c:/testdb.txt

And if you have spaces, enclose the path in quotation marks:
# \i 'C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/DB/testdb.txt'

> If you could help me on this I would be much obliged..
>
> Regards
> Raj

- Josh Williams

Date:
On 12/10/2008 04:55, Raj K wrote:
> Since it is in windows - I could not find any specific file
> permission mechanisms similar to linux.

To see the file permissions, right-click on the file and look at the
"Security" tab - it lists users and their permissions on the file.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Thank you very much, Josh.
This worked. The backward slashes were the problem.
I had tried the quote part earlier, but even that did not work because of the backward slashes.

Is there somewhere I can document this for other newbies facing the same issue?

Again, thank you very much.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Josh Williams <joshwilliams@ij.net> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 09:25 +0530, Raj K wrote:
> Since it is in windows - I could not find any specific file permission
> mechanisms similar to linux. (This is my first foray in windows - so I
> am a newbie there too )
> The computer is not in a network. So, through googling, I found that
> to share it, we have to move it to
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ - which I did.
>
> But even that did not help - as mentioned in the first mail.

Try using forward slashes in your path:
testdb=# \i c:/testdb.txt

And if you have spaces, enclose the path in quotation marks:
# \i 'C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/DB/testdb.txt'

> If you could help me on this I would be much obliged..
>
> Regards
> Raj

- Josh Williams