looking for psql without server-installation

From
Date:
hi all,
maybe a simple question, but i found no answer. what is the best way to
get a psql-client at a linux system without the need of a server. is
there a configure-option (i don't find any) to compile only psql without
der server?
thanks and greetings from munich
christian
p.s. besides this i am also interested, if there is a solution of this
problem for windows

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 06/08/2008 16:38, Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:
> hi all,
> maybe a simple question, but i found no answer. what is the best way to
> get a psql-client at a linux system without the need of a server. is
[snip]
> p.s. besides this i am also interested, if there is a solution of this
> problem for windows

Actually, it would be *awfully* handy to be able to download pre-built
binaries of psql and pg_dump for Windows.....maybe there already is a
simple way to do this that I'm missing?

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> On 06/08/2008 16:38, Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:
>> hi all,
>> maybe a simple question, but i found no answer. what is the best
>> way to
>> get a psql-client at a linux system without the need of a server. is
> [snip]
>> p.s. besides this i am also interested, if there is a solution of
>> this
>> problem for windows
>
> Actually, it would be *awfully* handy to be able to download pre-
> built binaries of psql and pg_dump for Windows.....maybe there
> already is a simple way to do this that I'm missing?

Windows is actually pretty easy compared to the Mac where you have
full library paths hard coded in the compiled binaries. On Windows all
you need to do is put psql.exe and pg_dump.exe in a folder with all
the dll library files (libpq.dll, clibiconv2.dll, etc).

pgEdit includes psql like this and I think pgAdmin does the same with
pg_dump.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
Tomasz Ostrowski
Date:
On 2008-08-06 17:38, Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:
> what is the best way to get a psql-client at a linux system without
> the need of a server.

On Fedora/RedHat/CentOS or other yum based distribution:
# yum install postgresql

For Debian/Ubuntu or other dpkg based distribution I think it will be:
# dpkg --install postgresql-client
But I do not use Debian, so I can be wrong.

It does not have to be the same version as the server, so don't compile
it yourself.

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
Date:
maybe i misworded my problem. i am looking for the possibility to install a psql client (without a server) out of the
sources.my usecase is: one server with a postgresql-server (self compiled) and several workstations with psql-clients,
alsopreferred self compiled.
i know that is possible to compile at every workstation the sourcecode of the server to get a psql-client. but the side
effectis, that in this case i have a potential server at every workstation and in my opinion that is a very large
footprint.i have to compile psql for myself because otherwise (installing binaries with packaging tools) i have no (or
minimal)control about the version of the client.
i think that is a use case which can be applied to the needs of many people (for example: oracle offers also
client-only-packageswhich are containing sql+, ...)
hoping for a solution
christian

Magnus Hagander
Date:
Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:
> maybe i misworded my problem. i am looking for the possibility to install a psql client (without a server) out of the
sources.my usecase is: one server with a postgresql-server (self compiled) and several workstations with psql-clients,
alsopreferred self compiled.
> i know that is possible to compile at every workstation the sourcecode of the server to get a psql-client. but the
sideeffect is, that in this case i have a potential server at every workstation and in my opinion that is a very large
footprint.i have to compile psql for myself because otherwise (installing binaries with packaging tools) i have no (or
minimal)control about the version of the client.
> i think that is a use case which can be applied to the needs of many people (for example: oracle offers also
client-only-packageswhich are containing sql+, ...)
> hoping for a solution

Just run the "make" and "make install" commands in subdirs only. You
will need to do it in src/interfaces/libpq and src/bin/psql to get a
working psql.

But you can certainly have control over the version on the client even
if you use binary packages like .RPMs. Just decide which version you
install. The OS may come with a pre-selected version by default, but for
most OSes there are RPMs or DEBs available for other versions as well
that you can install.

//Magnus

Date:
On 2008-08-07 11:49, Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:

> maybe i misworded my problem. i am looking for the possibility to
> install a psql client (without a server) out of the sources.

It is not a basic problem - it is your solution for a problem, which
maybe does have another, better solution.

> i have to compile psql for myself because otherwise (installing
> binaries with packaging tools) i have no (or minimal) control about
> the version of the client.

You can use official yum repository and you'll have total control of
client version. It works for RedHatEL/CentOS/Fedora:
    http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/

Regards
Tometzky
--
...although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a
moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you
were...
                                                      Winnie the Pooh

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
Date:
hi tomasz,
thanks for your answers. unfortunately i misworded my problem again. i have a very clear problem and i am looking for a
solutionof this problem (if it is basic or not) and i am not using RedHatEL/CentOS/Fedora. i am looking for a solution
whichis applicable to every linux os and not only for some. so here again my problem:

i am looking for the possibility to install a psql client (without a server) FROM THE SOURCE. my usecase is: one server
witha postgresql-server (self compiled) and several workstations with psql-clients, also preferred self compiled.
i know that is possible to compile at every workstation the sourcecode of the server to get a psql-client. but the side
effectis, that in this case i have a potential server at every workstation and in my opinion that is a very large
footprint.i have to compile psql for myself because otherwise (installing binaries with packaging tools) i have no (or
minimal)control about the version of the client.
i think that is a use case which can be applied to the needs of many people (for example: oracle offers also
client-only-packageswhich are containing sql+, ...)
regards and please excuse my unclear question
christian
p.s. i don't want to change to RedHatEL/CentOS/Fedora

Date:
hallo magnus,

thanks for your answer.

> Just run the "make" and "make install" commands in subdirs
> only. You will need to do it in src/interfaces/libpq and
> src/bin/psql to get a working psql.

that is the answer i was looking for.

> But you can certainly have control over the version on the
> client even if you use binary packages like .RPMs. Just
> decide which version you install. The OS may come with a
> pre-selected version by default, but for most OSes there are
> RPMs or DEBs available for other versions as well that you
> can install.

the available versions are very different for every os, every version of
the os, and so on. so i don't prefer this method but sometimes (or for
other people maybe often) it works

best regards
christian

Re: looking for psql without server-installation

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Christian Strobl wrote:
> thanks for your answers. unfortunately i misworded my problem
> again. i have a very clear problem and i am looking for a
> solution of this problem (if it is basic or not) and i am not
> using RedHatEL/CentOS/Fedora. i am looking for a solution
> which is applicable to every linux os and not only for some.
> so here again my problem:
>
> i am looking for the possibility to install a psql client
> (without a server) FROM THE SOURCE. my usecase is: one server
> with a postgresql-server (self compiled) and several
> workstations with psql-clients, also preferred self compiled.
> i know that is possible to compile at every workstation the
> sourcecode of the server to get a psql-client. but the side
> effect is, that in this case i have a potential server at
> every workstation and in my opinion that is a very large
> footprint. i have to compile psql for myself because
> otherwise (installing binaries with packaging tools) i have
> no (or minimal) control about the version of the client.
> i think that is a use case which can be applied to the needs
> of many people (for example: oracle offers also
> client-only-packages which are containing sql+, ...)
> regards and please excuse my unclear question
> christian
> p.s. i don't want to change to RedHatEL/CentOS/Fedora

Unless I understood you wrong, this is the solution:

- Download the source, unpack it and follow the installation
  procedure described in
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-procedure.html

- Pay specific attention to the section "Client-only installation:"
  in point 4.

First, read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/install-requirements.html

Yours,