Re: looking for psql without server-installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: looking for psql without server-installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 6, 2008, at 11:57 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> On 06/08/2008 16:38, Christian.Strobl@dlr.de wrote:
>> hi all,
>> maybe a simple question, but i found no answer. what is the best
>> way to
>> get a psql-client at a linux system without the need of a server. is
> [snip]
>> p.s. besides this i am also interested, if there is a solution of
>> this
>> problem for windows
>
> Actually, it would be *awfully* handy to be able to download pre-
> built binaries of psql and pg_dump for Windows.....maybe there
> already is a simple way to do this that I'm missing?

Windows is actually pretty easy compared to the Mac where you have
full library paths hard coded in the compiled binaries. On Windows all
you need to do is put psql.exe and pg_dump.exe in a folder with all
the dll library files (libpq.dll, clibiconv2.dll, etc).

pgEdit includes psql like this and I think pgAdmin does the same with
pg_dump.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.