replication only

From
Jef Peeraer
Date:
i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
would be the best option to go with. Slony i presume, although schema
chanages are not propagated.

thanks

jef peeraer

Re: replication only

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 05/08/2008 08:21, Jef Peeraer wrote:

> would be the best option to go with. Slony i presume, although schema
> chanages are not propagated.

Schema changes *are* propagated in Slony, using the EXECUTE SCRIPT
statement:

http://www.slony.info/documentation/stmtddlscript.html

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: replication only

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> would be the best option to go with.

Your description of you requirements is very lacking, so much so that
any attempt at suggesting a "best" option would be pointless.

Provide some more information on your requirements and people will be
able to answer intelligently.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: replication only

From
Jef Peeraer

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> > i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> > some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> > would be the best option to go with.
>
> Your description of you requirements is very lacking, so much so that
> any attempt at suggesting a "best" option would be pointless.
>
> Provide some more information on your requirements and people will be
> able to answer intelligently.
my apology, i tried to be brief.
i've got a main database, where all transactions end up. Daily we make a
backup (pg_dumpall) and restore the first database in a sort of backup
database. This backup database is mainly used to do reporting.
To automate this process for the backup database and to minimize the
out-of-sync state, i should like to use replication.
The second backup database is only used as read-only,
except for some third party software that writes to 1 table.

jef peeraer

> --
> Bill Moran
> Collaborative Fusion Inc.
> http://people.collaborativefusion.com/~wmoran/
>
> wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
> Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: replication only

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> > > i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> > > some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> > > would be the best option to go with.
> >
> > Your description of you requirements is very lacking, so much so that
> > any attempt at suggesting a "best" option would be pointless.
> >
> > Provide some more information on your requirements and people will be
> > able to answer intelligently.
> my apology, i tried to be brief.
> i've got a main database, where all transactions end up. Daily we make a
> backup (pg_dumpall) and restore the first database in a sort of backup
> database. This backup database is mainly used to do reporting.
> To automate this process for the backup database and to minimize the
> out-of-sync state, i should like to use replication.
> The second backup database is only used as read-only,
> except for some third party software that writes to 1 table.

You'd probably be best with Slony, just don't replicate that 1 table
that you'll need to write to.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: replication only

From
"Henry"
Date:
On Tue, August 5, 2008 9:21 am, Jef Peeraer wrote:

> i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> would be the best option to go with. Slony i presume, although schema
> chanages are not propagated.

Skytools (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/skytools/) has a considerably
lower learning curve compared to Slony.  Nothing wrong with Slony, but
recovering from replication problems with skytools is far easier, and it's
just much simpler to use -- not as flexible and as powerful as Slony, but
if all you need to do is replicate some tables with minimum fuss and
without having to learn a new language, then Skytools (based on my
personal experience with a cluster and Slony versus Skytools) is my
recommendation.

Regards
Henry

Re: replication only

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Bill Moran
<wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> wrote:

> You'd probably be best with Slony, just don't replicate that 1 table
> that you'll need to write to.

That's one of my favorite things about slony.

Re: replication only

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:03:19AM +0200, Henry wrote:

> just much simpler to use -- not as flexible and as powerful as Slony, but
> if all you need to do is replicate some tables with minimum fuss and
> without having to learn a new language, then Skytools (based on my
> personal experience with a cluster and Slony versus Skytools) is my
> recommendation.

This is probably good advice.  For simple cases, Slony's sort of a
pain in the neck.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104