Re: replication only - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jef Peeraer
Subject Re: replication only
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> > i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> > some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> > would be the best option to go with.
>
> Your description of you requirements is very lacking, so much so that
> any attempt at suggesting a "best" option would be pointless.
>
> Provide some more information on your requirements and people will be
> able to answer intelligently.
my apology, i tried to be brief.
i've got a main database, where all transactions end up. Daily we make a
backup (pg_dumpall) and restore the first database in a sort of backup
database. This backup database is mainly used to do reporting.
To automate this process for the backup database and to minimize the
out-of-sync state, i should like to use replication.
The second backup database is only used as read-only,
except for some third party software that writes to 1 table.

jef peeraer