Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Mark Neely
Date:
Hi,

I am working with a client (a media company) that is re-developing its
web publishing system.

I've already shortlisted potential CMS systems (including several open-
source options, such as Drupal and Joomla).

The brief requires a site that has sophisticated profiling capability,
particularly with respect to the ability to 'personalise' the site;
that is, recognise certain user preferences, and (where possible)
target content to individual user interests etc.

I am looking for examples of open-source CRM (or similar platforms)
used for this kind of profiling/personalisation, and would appreciate
any pointers readers of this newsgroup might be able to offer.

Please reply directly to me at mark.neely@gmail.com

Regards,

Mark

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 10:18a -0400 on Tue, 27 May 2008, Mark Neely wrote:
> The brief requires a site that has sophisticated profiling capability,
> particularly with respect to the ability to 'personalise' the site;
> that is, recognise certain user preferences, and (where possible)
> target content to individual user interests etc.
>
> I am looking for examples of open-source CRM (or similar platforms)
> used for this kind of profiling/personalisation, and would appreciate
> any pointers readers of this newsgroup might be able to offer.

It's not directly a CRM, but the Django web framework may be of interest
to you.  It's was developed at World Online (Lawrence, Kansas, USA), and
is exceedingly stable.  http://www.djangoproject.com/

For the list: it's community is ostensibly DB agnostic, but the big wigs
seem to lean heavily towards Postgres.

Kevin

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> It's not directly a CRM, but the Django web framework may be of interest
> to you.  It's was developed at World Online (Lawrence, Kansas, USA), and
> is exceedingly stable.  http://www.djangoproject.com/
>
> For the list: it's community is ostensibly DB agnostic, but the big wigs
> seem to lean heavily towards Postgres.

And its python :)

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Kevin Hunter
Date:
At 12:58p -0400 on Tue, 27 May 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> It's not directly a CRM, but the Django web framework may be of interest
>> to you.  It's was developed at World Online (Lawrence, Kansas, USA), and
>> is exceedingly stable.  http://www.djangoproject.com/
>>
>> For the list: it's community is ostensibly DB agnostic, but the big wigs
>> seem to lean heavily towards Postgres.
>
> And its python :)

That's actually a bigger plus than folks may realize because all three
communities (Django, Postgres, Python) share the
"do-it-the-right-way,-not-just-the-quickest/easiest-way" mentality.  (At
least in my experience.)  From an overall quality perspective, this is a
huge win for all involved.  And if you're developing, you will
appreciate the chat rooms/mailing lists/community-in-general for all
three for just this reason.

Kevin

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 28/05/2008, Kevin Hunter <hunteke@earlham.edu> wrote:
>  > And its python :)
> That's actually a bigger plus than folks may realize because all three
>  communities (Django, Postgres, Python) share the
>  "do-it-the-right-way,-not-just-the-quickest/easiest-way" mentality.  (At
>  least in my experience.)  From an overall quality perspective, this is a
>  huge win for all involved.  And if you're developing, you will
>  appreciate the chat rooms/mailing lists/community-in-general for all
>  three for just this reason.

How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)

>  Kevin
Cheers,
Andrej

--
Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:46 +1200, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 28/05/2008, Kevin Hunter <hunteke@earlham.edu> wrote:
> >  > And its python :)
> > That's actually a bigger plus than folks may realize because all three
> >  communities (Django, Postgres, Python) share the
> >  "do-it-the-right-way,-not-just-the-quickest/easiest-way" mentality.  (At
> >  least in my experience.)  From an overall quality perspective, this is a
> >  huge win for all involved.  And if you're developing, you will
> >  appreciate the chat rooms/mailing lists/community-in-general for all
> >  three for just this reason.
>
> How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)

Do you really want the answer to that? :P

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 28/05/2008, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>  > How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)

> Do you really want the answer to that? :P

Of course!  I know a few people who swear by it (and I've never had
to use it ...)

--

Date:
At 6:46p -0400 on Tue, 27 May 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)

Heh, I can't honestly comment on Zope/Plone as I haven't used it from a
developer or admin standpoint.  The OP asked for a suggestion of a CRM
or something similar and Django came to mind.  Perhaps someone else can
offer an opinion/anecdote on Zope/Plone?

Josh perhaps, as his reply just came in.  ;-)

Kevin

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Bob Pawley
Date:
I need to ask this question.

What do you mean whan you say "Don't top post???

I've seen this many times before and still don't understand.

Bob

>>  > How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)
>
>> Do you really want the answer to that? :P
>
> Of course!  I know a few people who swear by it (and I've never had
> to use it ...)
>

> --
> Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes
> concise.
>
> http://www.american.edu/econ/notes/htmlmail.htm

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Stephen Denne"
Date:
> What do you mean whan you say "Don't top post???

At the Datamail Group we value teamwork, respect, achievement, client focus, and courage.
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If it is not intended for you please advise by replying immediately, destroy it and do not
copy, disclose or use it in any way.

The Datamail Group, through our GoGreen programme, is committed to environmental sustainability.
Help us in our efforts by not printing this email.
  This email has been scanned by the DMZGlobal Business Quality
              Electronic Messaging Suite.
Please see http://www.dmzglobal.com/dmzmessaging.htm for details.

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Gregory Williamson"

> > What do you mean whan you say "Don't top post???
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

In-line comments are more readable, especially for longish emails. The PosgreSQL mail lists all prefer this method. Some related lists (the postGis list for instance) have a preponderance of top-quoting. It is always best to try to follow local style.

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)

Re: Bottom Posting

From
Andy Anderson

> > What do you mean whan you say "Don't top post???
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

In-line comments are more readable, especially for longish emails. The PosgreSQL mail lists all prefer this method. Some related lists (the postGis list for instance) have a preponderance of top-quoting. It is always best to try to follow local style.

But if you do bottom-post, please *do* edit the earlier content down to just the context of your comments. Otherwise readers can end up paging through lots of stuff before they get to the new bits. Archives are available for reference if necessary.

(Oh, and sometimes it's a good idea to change the subject line, too ... though I'm hardly innocent there ;-)

Cheers,

-- Andy

Re: Bottom Posting

Date:
Andy Anderson <aanderson@amherst.edu> writes:
>> On May 27, 2008, at 7:41 PM, Gregory Williamson wrote:
>> In-line comments are more readable, especially for longish emails.

> But if you do bottom-post, please *do* edit the earlier content down
> to just the context of your comments. Otherwise readers can end up
> paging through lots of stuff before they get to the new bits. Archives
> are available for reference if necessary.

Indeed.  Another little tip that some folk seem not to have figured out:
leave some white space between what you write and what you quote.  The
posts that I hate even worse than top-posting are the ones where the
poster quotes the entire thread and inserts a line or two of comment
that isn't visibly separate from what's around it, like this:

> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
comment added here
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah
> blah blah blah

This is a truly outstanding way of ensuring that no one will read
what you wrote.

Bottom line: have some respect for your readers.  Make it easy to
distinguish what you wrote from the preceding material, and remember
that the only reason you are quoting anything at all is to provide some
context for what you are saying.  We don't need to re-read the entire
darn thread.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Will LaShell
Date:
On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:46 +1200, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 28/05/2008, Kevin Hunter <hunteke@earlham.edu> wrote:
> >  > And its python :)
> > That's actually a bigger plus than folks may realize because all three
> >  communities (Django, Postgres, Python) share the
> >  "do-it-the-right-way,-not-just-the-quickest/easiest-way" mentality.  (At
> >  least in my experience.)  From an overall quality perspective, this is a
> >  huge win for all involved.  And if you're developing, you will
> >  appreciate the chat rooms/mailing lists/community-in-general for all
> >  three for just this reason.
>
> How does Zope/Plone fit in there as an alternative in your opinion? :)

I will offer my experience on this one. We were attempting to use
Zope/Plone for the  GNOME.Asia summit website. In short, it was a
disaster for us. Starting with no experience in Plone the learning curve
was very very high.

I was able to make some initial theme changes, but when we started to
add custom objects, new "page types"  to display things like speaker
profiles,  abstracts, and adding new data to registered user objects the
framework itself really got in the way. We spent some time with the
Plone community but there were no clear answers on what the errors we
were seeing actually meant, several times the answer was  "Well,  you
have something wrong, but it looks like it should be working....".

Setting  up the development environment on each persons system was non
trivial as well because the "preferred" method of using Plone/Zope is
with a "buildout", which is basically a magical script which can
download and set up everything. It sounds easy enough, but in practice
it can turn ugly.  They offer  pre-established  Plone/Zope  tarballs,
but when we used them and we had some issues trying to use some of the
extra modules,  the first answer was always  "are you using a buildout,
because then it would be easy for you".

Judging by the questions that were being asked on the Plone mailing
lists / IRC channel there are some things that need to be changed in the
default Plone configuration.  I saw "Why doesn't my Plone start"  as
many times as I have seen "Why is select count(*) from
my_super_blog_awesomesauce; so SLOW!!!!!" on the Postgresql mailing
list. The different being there were 10 different "common" answers for
the not start question.

Using version control on the customization "product"  you create can be
hard too, because even though you commit your code, and the other
developers check it out, some of the changes your product make to
Plone's layout and display cannot be reverted without essentially
deleting and starting the database from scratch again. Not optimal.

Oh, and to top it all off,  it really wants to use  ZODB  for its
datastore. Using an external data back-end is supported, but things can
break unexpectedly.

I will say that Zope/Plone has had a lot of time spent on it and the
developers that know it very well can do some very interesting things
with it pretty quickly.

Django,  much much easier learning curve. It just doesn't get in your
way. Nice support for sqlite, postgresql, mysql. Django's ORM is very
easy to understand. The template system syntax is very straightforward
with excellent separation from the backend code. The web designer on the
team knows no python at all and has been able to work on the templates
with no problems.

Time spent with Zope/Plone: 4 weeks  Result: base plone installation has
a new theme. website 15% complete. Eta completion: Infinity

Time spent now with Django: 1 week 2 days.  Result:  Website 90%
complete. Eta completion: 3 days.

I have no desire for this to escalate into a Django vs Zope/Plone
debate, so please no one turn it into one!  I am sure that if we had
known more Zope/Plone or had more time to learn and figure out how to do
things in the "Plone way" we could have had more success with it.

Sincerely,

Will LaShell

> >  Kevin
> Cheers,
> Andrej

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Will LaShell wrote:

> Time spent with Zope/Plone: 4 weeks  Result: base plone installation has
> a new theme. website 15% complete. Eta completion: Infinity
>
> Time spent now with Django: 1 week 2 days.  Result:  Website 90%
> complete. Eta completion: 3 days.
>
> I have no desire for this to escalate into a Django vs Zope/Plone
> debate, so please no one turn it into one!  I am sure that if we had
> known more Zope/Plone or had more time to learn and figure out how to do
> things in the "Plone way" we could have had more success with it.

I think it is important to realize that zope/plone really do serve
different ideals of purpose. That being said, Django rocks.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Kaloyan Iliev
Date:
Mark Neely wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am working with a client (a media company) that is re-developing its
>web publishing system.
>
>I've already shortlisted potential CMS systems (including several open-
>source options, such as Drupal and Joomla).
>
>The brief requires a site that has sophisticated profiling capability,
>particularly with respect to the ability to 'personalise' the site;
>that is, recognise certain user preferences, and (where possible)
>target content to individual user interests etc.
>
>I am looking for examples of open-source CRM (or similar platforms)
>used for this kind of profiling/personalisation, and would appreciate
>any pointers readers of this newsgroup might be able to offer.

Hi,
And what about RT (Request Tracker - http://bestpractical.com/rt/)
.
AFAIK it is free and open-source, uses Postgres and is easy to setup.

Regards,
  Kaloyan Iliev

>Please reply directly to me at mark.neely@gmail.com
>
>Regards,
>
>Mark

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
David Wall
Date:
What about SugarCRM?

David

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On May 28, 2008, at 8:52 AM, David Wall wrote:

> What about SugarCRM?

It's nice, but it's MySQL only, with a few desiccated corpses of ports
to PostgreSQL done by third parties littered in it's wake.

vTiger is a fork / knock-off of Sugar which has sorta-kinda support
for PostgreSQL in older versions, but not in the current version. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/VTigerCRM

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
kaloyan@digsys.bg (Kaloyan Iliev) writes:
> And what about RT (Request Tracker - http://bestpractical.com/rt/)
> .
> AFAIK it is free and open-source, uses Postgres and is easy to setup.

RT has a very different purpose; it was designed to track work (e.g. -
"work tickets"), as opposed to managing web site content.

It *might* be used as a bug tracker, though with a considerably
different flavour from (say) Bugzilla; as a CRM, it would be pretty
unsuitable :-(.
--
output = reverse("moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 09:20 -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:
> On May 28, 2008, at 8:52 AM, David Wall wrote:
>
> > What about SugarCRM?

Drupal works fine with PostgreSQL :)

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
"Robin Helgelin"
Date:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Mark Neely <mark.neely@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've already shortlisted potential CMS systems (including several open-
> source options, such as Drupal and Joomla).

[snip...]

> I am looking for examples of open-source CRM (or similar platforms)
> used for this kind of profiling/personalisation, and would appreciate
> any pointers readers of this newsgroup might be able to offer.

I think the important question is whether the op means CMS or CRM
(quite different).

--
 regards,
 Robin

Re: Bottom Posting

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Bottom line: have some respect for your readers.  Make it easy to
> distinguish what you wrote from the preceding material, and remember
> that the only reason you are quoting anything at all is to provide some
> context for what you are saying.  We don't need to re-read the entire
> darn thread.

I don't think the people who top-post or quote the entire message are doing it
out of disrespect. They just have never been exposed to the traditional style.

The main reason I posted this was to demonstrate that there's really no reason
to quote the original message. My response was only to this one point and not
the longer previous point. I actually think this is a more important point to
get across than simply "don't top post" which just seems to generate lots of
"bottom posts" that are just as bad.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Open Source CRM - Options?

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Chris Browne" <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

> RT has a very different purpose; it was designed to track work (e.g. -
> "work tickets"), as opposed to managing web site content.
>
> It *might* be used as a bug tracker, though with a considerably
> different flavour from (say) Bugzilla; as a CRM, it would be pretty
> unsuitable :-(.

FWIW I think you guys are using CRM to mean something very different from its
usual meaning. A trouble ticket tracking system like RT is pretty much
precisely what is normally referred to as a CRM. What you seem to be referring
to is some subset of CMS, I don't know of any specific name for this kind of
system.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Bottom Posting

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@shaw.ca> writes:

> The concept of most lists should be "the free exchange of ideas in the most
> efficient manner possible".

What is this in response to?

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Bottom Posting

From
Bob Pawley
Date:
IMHO and WADR I am on four different types of lists.

When I am following a thread I very much appreciate those respondents who
get their point across up front without making me wade through previous
posts which I have already read.

I can understand the concept of bottom posting as a means of easily
generating digests. However, digests don't seem to be an issue on any of the
lists to which I subscribe.

The concept of most lists should be "the free exchange of ideas in the most
efficient manner possible".

Bob

>> Bottom line: have some respect for your readers.  Make it easy to
>> distinguish what you wrote from the preceding material, and remember
>> that the only reason you are quoting anything at all is to provide some
>> context for what you are saying.  We don't need to re-read the entire
>> darn thread.
>
> I don't think the people who top-post or quote the entire message are
> doing it
> out of disrespect. They just have never been exposed to the traditional
> style.
>
> The main reason I posted this was to demonstrate that there's really no
> reason
> to quote the original message. My response was only to this one point and
> not
> the longer previous point. I actually think this is a more important point
> get across than simply "don't top post" which just seems to generate lots
> of
> "bottom posts" that are just as bad.
>
> --
>  Gregory Stark
>  EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com
>  Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!

Re: Bottom Posting

From
"Andrej Ricnik-Bay"
Date:
On 29/05/2008, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:

> ... get their point across up front without making me wade through
Good for you :}

>  I can understand the concept of bottom posting
No one advocates bottom-posting here. It's all about intersparsed
with relevant bits left standing.

>  The concept of most lists should be "the free exchange of ideas in the most
> efficient manner possible".
Which is per agreement on the list intersparsed. Which also allows people
only just hopping onto the train of thought to get a good understanding
of what a thread is about without having to read the lot top to bottom.
May not match your individual preference, but then that's not what the
list is about, either.

>  Bob
Cheers,
Andrej

--

Date:
Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:
> On 29/05/2008, Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > ... get their point across up front without making me wade through
> Good for you :}
>
> >  I can understand the concept of bottom posting
> No one advocates bottom-posting here. It's all about intersparsed
> with relevant bits left standing.
>

> >  The concept of most lists should be "the free exchange of ideas in the most
> > efficient manner possible".
> Which is per agreement on the list intersparsed. Which also allows people
> only just hopping onto the train of thought to get a good understanding
> of what a thread is about without having to read the lot top to bottom.
> May not match your individual preference, but then that's not what the
> list is about, either.

Don't forget adding a blank line between quoted text and your reply;
that is helpful too.