Suggestion for psql command interpretation

From
Colin Wetherbee
Date:
I just made a typo in psql, and it resulted in something I wouldn't have
expected.

js=# \timimng
Showing only tuples.

js=# \t
Tuples only is off.

I also wouldn't have expected \timimng to have been interpreted as
\timing, which I tried to type in the first place, but perhaps a typo
like this should throw an error?

Colin

Re: Suggestion for psql command interpretation

From
Colin Wetherbee
Date:
Colin Wetherbee wrote:
> I just made a typo in psql, and it resulted in something I wouldn't have
> expected.

Oh, um, this was in the 8.3.1 psql.

Date:
Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
> I just made a typo in psql, and it resulted in something I wouldn't have
> expected.

> js=# \timimng
> Showing only tuples.

This is related to the discussion about whether to require a space
between a backslash command name and its arguments ...

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
>> I just made a typo in psql, and it resulted in something I
>> wouldn't have expected.
>
>> js=# \timimng Showing only tuples.
>
> This is related to the discussion about whether to require a space
> between a backslash command name and its arguments ...

I see.

So, this was interpreted by psql in the same way "\t imimng" would
have been?  Not that \t does anything with arguments, though...

I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to
happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".

Date:
Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
> I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to
> happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".

Well, it's more of a historical hangover.  Personally I'd not have
much problem with breaking backward compatibility on this point.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
>> I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to
>> happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".
>
> Well, it's more of a historical hangover.  Personally I'd not have
> much problem with breaking backward compatibility on this point.

I'm not generally in the habit of making typos, so this doesn't affect
me too much.

However, IMHO and as I mentioned previously, I don't think "\timimng"
should succeed.  I'll leave the rest of the discussion up to you and
the other developers, though. :)

Colin

Re: Suggestion for psql command interpretation

From
Lincoln Yeoh
Date:
At 04:46 AM 4/16/2008, Colin Wetherbee wrote:
>Tom Lane wrote:
>>Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
>>>I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to
>>>happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".
>>Well, it's more of a historical hangover.  Personally I'd not have
>>much problem with breaking backward compatibility on this point.
>
>I'm not generally in the habit of making typos, so this doesn't
>affect me too much.
>
>However, IMHO and as I mentioned previously, I don't think
>"\timimng" should succeed.  I'll leave the rest of the discussion up
>to you and the other developers, though. :)

I too agree that \timimng should not work.

Maybe someone can think of an undesirable surprise that springs from
this "feature" ;).

\i
\e

Are possible candidates (probably others could clobber files given a typo).

I think requiring a space between command and arguments would be a
good idea. And not doing stuff if there are syntax errors...

Link.