Re: Suggestion for psql command interpretation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Suggestion for psql command interpretation
Date
List pgsql-general
At 04:46 AM 4/16/2008, Colin Wetherbee wrote:
>Tom Lane wrote:
>>Colin Wetherbee <cww@denterprises.org> writes:
>>>I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to
>>>happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".
>>Well, it's more of a historical hangover.  Personally I'd not have
>>much problem with breaking backward compatibility on this point.
>
>I'm not generally in the habit of making typos, so this doesn't
>affect me too much.
>
>However, IMHO and as I mentioned previously, I don't think
>"\timimng" should succeed.  I'll leave the rest of the discussion up
>to you and the other developers, though. :)

I too agree that \timimng should not work.

Maybe someone can think of an undesirable surprise that springs from
this "feature" ;).

\i
\e

Are possible candidates (probably others could clobber files given a typo).

I think requiring a space between command and arguments would be a
good idea. And not doing stuff if there are syntax errors...

Link.