precompilers

From
"Ferry, Craig"

We are evaluating open source databases for use within our organization.  Can anyone tell me if postgresql have a precompiler for Micro focus Cobol for Unix V 4.1 revision 040?   Is there a list of these someplace?  I poked around on the postgres site.

Thanks

Craig

 Craig Ferry
 Sr. Database Administrator

 WESCO Distribution, Inc.

 Suite 700

 225 West Station Square Drive

 Pittsburgh, PA 15219
 P:412-454-2835
 F:412-222-7535

 crferry@wescodist.com

Re: precompilers

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Ferry, Craig <crferry@wescodist.com> wrote:
> We are evaluating open source databases for use within our organization.
> Can anyone tell me if postgresql have a precompiler for Micro focus Cobol
> for Unix V 4.1 revision 040?   Is there a list of these someplace?  I poked
> around on the postgres site.

I don't think so.  A few years back I wrote a driver which linked to
the AcuCorp AcuCobol runtime that allowed PostgreSQL to appear as a
ISAM filesystem.  I've never heard of PostgreSQL running as a backend
for cobol in any other context (except for perhaps some odbc
wrappers).

merlin

Re: precompilers

Date:
Ferry, Craig wrote:
> We are evaluating open source databases for use within our organization.
> Can anyone tell me if postgresql have a precompiler for Micro focus
> Cobol for Unix V 4.1 revision 040?   Is there a list of these someplace?
> I poked around on the postgres site.

I see some people mentioning they were using Micro Focus cobol and
Postgres:

    http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=cobol+micro+focus&m=1&l=&d=-1&s=r

Re: precompilers

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Ferry, Craig wrote:
>  > We are evaluating open source databases for use within our organization.
>  > Can anyone tell me if postgresql have a precompiler for Micro focus
>  > Cobol for Unix V 4.1 revision 040?   Is there a list of these someplace?
>  > I poked around on the postgres site.
>
>  I see some people mentioning they were using Micro Focus cobol and
>  Postgres:
>
>         http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=cobol+micro+focus&m=1&l=&d=-1&s=r

A quick scan there shows most of the stuff is 'odbc' based.
PostgreSQL has some unique features (advisory locks for example) that
make it a really great backend for ISAM style apps.  You can solve
this over straight odbc, with a performance cost.  This is why a
native solution would be greatly preferred.  I'm still working on my
old company to allow me to release the ISAM project code.  It was
written for Acucorp, but would work with minimal changes for MF cobol,
their linking interfaces are similar (MF is actually much better).

merlin