Re: precompilers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: precompilers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Ferry, Craig wrote:
>  > We are evaluating open source databases for use within our organization.
>  > Can anyone tell me if postgresql have a precompiler for Micro focus
>  > Cobol for Unix V 4.1 revision 040?   Is there a list of these someplace?
>  > I poked around on the postgres site.
>
>  I see some people mentioning they were using Micro Focus cobol and
>  Postgres:
>
>         http://search.postgresql.org/search?q=cobol+micro+focus&m=1&l=&d=-1&s=r

A quick scan there shows most of the stuff is 'odbc' based.
PostgreSQL has some unique features (advisory locks for example) that
make it a really great backend for ISAM style apps.  You can solve
this over straight odbc, with a performance cost.  This is why a
native solution would be greatly preferred.  I'm still working on my
old company to allow me to release the ISAM project code.  It was
written for Acucorp, but would work with minimal changes for MF cobol,
their linking interfaces are similar (MF is actually much better).

merlin