connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
leoabhi
Date:
 Hello,

 I wish to connect Visual Studio 2008(VB) to PostgreSQL..

I used the following help file to do it ..
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B316649&x=12&y=14

Unfortunately, it does not connect..although when you test connection, using
test connection switch, VB displays test connection successful. The error
which i get is included in Snapshot .

The error in English means
"Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors.
Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done."

Please see enclosed snapsots..
http://www.nabble.com/file/p16583837/Vb_error1.bmp Vb_error1.bmp

any help/suggestion would be great or else any other suggestion/program to
connect VB to postgreSQL
http://www.nabble.com/file/p16583837/VB_Error.bmp VB_Error.bmp

Thanks
Abhi

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
Richard Huxton
leoabhi wrote:
> The error in English means
> "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors.
> Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done."

Well, did you "check each OLE DB status value"? Which failed and what
was it doing? Are there any errors logged at the server? Did you turn
statement logging on at the server and see what statements were being
executed?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
leoabhi
Date:
Hi Richard,

    is it possible to check them individually how ? well..!! I think it has
something to do with settings. couldnt even add a connection because once i
click ok, it show the OLE-DB error, so no question about executing
statements..
In tried with mdb database it works.

Found some more help.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B269495&x=9&y=10

Please see a snapshot of settings i could change .. The above help file also
speaks about Connection string (FILENAME). Any idea how this setting is to
be done if necessary for adding a postgresql connection.

Please reply.

Thanks

abhi
http://www.nabble.com/file/p16584555/settings_VB.bmp settings_VB.bmp

leoabhi wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
>     is it possible to check them individually how ?

No idea - you're one using .net - how would you normally check?

 > well..!! I think it has
> something to do with settings. couldnt even add a connection because once i
> click ok, it show the OLE-DB error, so no question about executing
> statements..
> In tried with mdb database it works.
>
> Found some more help.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B269495&x=9&y=10
>
> Please see a snapshot of settings i could change .. The above help file also
> speaks about Connection string (FILENAME). Any idea how this setting is to
> be done if necessary for adding a postgresql connection.

No idea. You're still not telling us what the error message is when you
try to connect.

I don't use .net, but if you write code to connect to any database then
the connect method/function will return some sort of status code to
indicate success or failure. There will then be a way of getting a
precise error code and message.

I'm assuming you can connect from this machine using psql and/or
pgadmin, yes?

I'm assuming you've turned on connection logging at the server and have
checked to see what's happening there, yes?

What happened when you tried the example code in the driver's tutorial?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
leoabhi
Date:
Hello,

In brief.

TASK : Write a code in VB so that i can connect to postgreSQL and then
execute some stataments from my VB application.

I didnt want to code it ..I found the other way round very similar but
without coding.

Visual basic has a server explorer .. which can be used to connect to
various database(Eg:Access database,mdb or in our case postgreSQL) and then
you can execute the SQL statements in VB, now once you open Server explorer
you need to ADD/Create/setup a  A CONNECTION TO DATABASE which you want to
use., i.e. setup a connection to postgreSQL.

now my first 2 posts speak about this setup and problem/error i had while
setting up connection..it gives OLE-DB error which we already spoke
about..STILL UNRESOLVED.

All goes around setup required to connect to postgreSQL using VB ,Server
Explorer.
I need the settings to be done in Server explorer , so tht i could connect
to postgreSQL...please see snapshots from first posts..That is all you will
neeed.you will understand it quickly now i hope..I know this speaks much
around VB but you need to know why OLE-DB error occurs when you connect a
database?

I have found another way to connect , still i need to check its surety,
hopefully tomo it works

I hope this helped you understand me better , please reply if you find any
solution. I will again post update about it tomorrow., but if this works it
would be gr8 atleast for me ;-)

>>I'm assuming you can connect from this machine using psql and/or
>>pgadmin, yes?
Yes richard , I am able to connect

>>I'm assuming you've turned on connection logging at the server and have
>>checked to see what's happening there, yes?
Yes i turned it on and it helped me to find out the other method , Thanks.

Thank you

Abhi

No idea. You're still not telling us what the error message is when you
try to connect.

I don't use .net, but if you write code to connect to any database then
the connect method/function will return some sort of status code to
indicate success or failure. There will then be a way of getting a
precise error code and message.

I'm assuming you can connect from this machine using psql and/or
pgadmin, yes?

I'm assuming you've turned on connection logging at the server and have
checked to see what's happening there, yes?

What happened when you tried the example code in the driver's tutorial?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
Craig Ringer
leoabhi wrote:

> now my first 2 posts speak about this setup and problem/error i had while
> setting up connection..it gives OLE-DB error which we already spoke
> about..STILL UNRESOLVED.
>
> All goes around setup required to connect to postgreSQL using VB ,Server
> Explorer.
> I need the settings to be done in Server explorer , so tht i could connect
> to postgreSQL...please see snapshots from first posts..That is all you will
> neeed.you will understand it quickly now i hope..I know this speaks much
> around VB but you need to know why OLE-DB error occurs when you connect a
> database?

A 30 second Google search suggests that "server" is ... the server
hostname or IP address, and location is the database name.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
"Abhishek MANDHANA"
Date:
Did 30 seconds search worked ? for me its didnt ?

Please just dont test the connection, the applet shows Connection successful , Are you able to create it  and see it under Server Explorer?

Abhi

now my first 2 posts speak about this setup and problem/error i had while
setting up connection..it gives OLE-DB error which we already spoke
about..STILL UNRESOLVED.

All goes around setup required to connect to postgreSQL using VB ,Server
Explorer.
I need the settings to be done in Server explorer , so tht i could connect
to postgreSQL...please see snapshots from first posts..That is all you will
neeed.you will understand it quickly now i hope..I know this speaks much
around VB but you need to know why OLE-DB error occurs when you connect a
database?

A 30 second Google search suggests that "server" is ... the server hostname or IP address, and location is the database name.

--
Craig Ringer

--
Mandhana Abhishek R.
http://abhishekrm.googlepages.com

Date:
Abhishek MANDHANA wrote:
> Did 30 seconds search worked ? for me its didnt ?
>
> Please just dont test the connection, the applet shows Connection successful
> , Are you able to create it  and see it under Server Explorer?

I mostly use Linux. I'm on Vista right now, but I have never used Visual
Basic and have none of the tools for it.  I have Visual Studio for C++
installed, but not for Visual Basic .NET. So I can't test it, and I'm
afraid I'm not going to install VB.net to test it. As such, I'm working
from information available on the 'net, such as the PostgreSQL OLE DB
provider documentation (which, by the way, is hard to find - I landed up
digging it out of ViewCVS). You, however, will have a copy of the file
that came with your copy of the OLE DB provider.

This is the README file. I strongly suggest having a look:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/oledb/oledb/README?rev=1.7&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

In any case, it's obvious in your screenshot that you left the "server"
and "location" fields blank in the connection setup form. This is most
likely the cause of your problem. Try putting "localhost" in the
"server" box, and the name of your database in the "location" box. If
you have not created a database yet, you will need to do so. See the
PostgreSQL documentation on how to do that.

As for the error message, it basically means "oops, it didn't work and I
don't know why". The PostgreSQL OLE DB provider README explains how to
get more detailed error information.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL

From
"Francisco Figueiredo Jr."
Date:
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM, leoabhi <abhishekrm@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Hello,

Hello Abhi!

>   I wish to connect Visual Studio 2008(VB) to PostgreSQL..

Have you tried Npgsql?

http://www.npgsql.org
http://project.npgsql.org
http://documentation.npgsql.org

I hope it helps.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
fxjr.blogspot.com
www.npgsql.org

Date:
In any case, it's obvious in your screenshot that you left the "server" and "location" fields blank in the connection setup form. This is most likely the cause of your problem.

doesnt work either..OLE-DB error persists. thanks for the readmefile.