Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From leoabhi
Subject Re: connecting VB to postgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

In brief.

TASK : Write a code in VB so that i can connect to postgreSQL and then
execute some stataments from my VB application.

I didnt want to code it ..I found the other way round very similar but
without coding.

Visual basic has a server explorer .. which can be used to connect to
various database(Eg:Access database,mdb or in our case postgreSQL) and then
you can execute the SQL statements in VB, now once you open Server explorer
you need to ADD/Create/setup a  A CONNECTION TO DATABASE which you want to
use., i.e. setup a connection to postgreSQL.

now my first 2 posts speak about this setup and problem/error i had while
setting up connection..it gives OLE-DB error which we already spoke
about..STILL UNRESOLVED.

All goes around setup required to connect to postgreSQL using VB ,Server
Explorer.
I need the settings to be done in Server explorer , so tht i could connect
to postgreSQL...please see snapshots from first posts..That is all you will
neeed.you will understand it quickly now i hope..I know this speaks much
around VB but you need to know why OLE-DB error occurs when you connect a
database?

I have found another way to connect , still i need to check its surety,
hopefully tomo it works

I hope this helped you understand me better , please reply if you find any
solution. I will again post update about it tomorrow., but if this works it
would be gr8 atleast for me ;-)

>>I'm assuming you can connect from this machine using psql and/or
>>pgadmin, yes?
Yes richard , I am able to connect

>>I'm assuming you've turned on connection logging at the server and have
>>checked to see what's happening there, yes?
Yes i turned it on and it helped me to find out the other method , Thanks.

Thank you

Abhi

No idea. You're still not telling us what the error message is when you
try to connect.

I don't use .net, but if you write code to connect to any database then
the connect method/function will return some sort of status code to
indicate success or failure. There will then be a way of getting a
precise error code and message.

I'm assuming you can connect from this machine using psql and/or
pgadmin, yes?

I'm assuming you've turned on connection logging at the server and have
checked to see what's happening there, yes?

What happened when you tried the example code in the driver's tutorial?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd