IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
Clodoaldo
Date:
According to Slashdot IBM is investing in EnterpriseDB. What does it
mean for Postgresql?

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Clodoaldo
<clodoaldo.pinto.neto@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Slashdot IBM is investing in EnterpriseDB. What does it
>  mean for Postgresql?

In a nutshell? It helps EnterpriseDB continue to employ people like
me, Bruce, Heikki, Greg, Pavan and the various other people from the
company you see working on PostgreSQL. Startups need VC funding to
operate until they become big enough to look after themselves -
without it, we'd be looking for jobs elsewhere and maybe only working
on PostgreSQL in our spare time.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Clodoaldo wrote:
> According to Slashdot IBM is investing in EnterpriseDB. What does it
> mean for Postgresql?

There should be no affect on the community, except that EnterpriseDB
might be able to support the community a little better because of a
little more funding.

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Clodoaldo
<clodoaldo.pinto.neto@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Slashdot IBM is investing in EnterpriseDB. What does it
> mean for Postgresql?

There where 2 or 3 blogs posted on the PostgreSQL main page on this
subject that were interesting.

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Martin Gainty"
Date:
Welcome news to have a solid backer..
Any plans for integration with Websphere?

Thanks
Martin

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

>   + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
Ron Mayer
Clodoaldo wrote:
> ...IBM is investing...What does it mean for Postgresql?

One cool thing it means is that there are now *two*
companies (thanks again Fujitsu) bigger than
Oracle backing (to some extent) Postgres.

And now one company bigger than Microsoft.

Yeah, this doesn't affect the community much. But it
sure comes in useful when your CFO calls you into a
meeting and says "Hey, I just had lunch with
our Microsoft rep and he asked why we're running
some unsupported freeware database."

Your CFO wouldn't want to run your company on a
database - like Oracle 10i and MySQL and SQLServer - that
are only backed by little (under $50B revenue) guys, would he?

:-)

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:12:48 -0700
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:

> Clodoaldo wrote:
> > ...IBM is investing...What does it mean for Postgresql?
>
> One cool thing it means is that there are now *two*
> companies (thanks again Fujitsu) bigger than
> Oracle backing (to some extent) Postgres.

IIRC Oracle actually backs PostgreSQL in Asia (I am digging for the
article where I read that).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

Attachment

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
Alex Vinogradovs
Date:
Shouldn't forget IBM got DB2. Could be they are
just seeking additional userbase in opensource
market space...

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 12:12 -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Clodoaldo wrote:
> > ...IBM is investing...What does it mean for Postgresql?
>
> One cool thing it means is that there are now *two*
> companies (thanks again Fujitsu) bigger than
> Oracle backing (to some extent) Postgres.
>
> And now one company bigger than Microsoft.
>
> Yeah, this doesn't affect the community much. But it
> sure comes in useful when your CFO calls you into a
> meeting and says "Hey, I just had lunch with
> our Microsoft rep and he asked why we're running
> some unsupported freeware database."
>
> Your CFO wouldn't want to run your company on a
> database - like Oracle 10i and MySQL and SQLServer - that
> are only backed by little (under $50B revenue) guys, would he?
>
> :-)

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Brent Wood"
Date:
Add Informix to the list of IBM's RDBMS products.. Also note that where Postgres has PistGIC as an OGC compliant
geodataextension, IBM already supports this in both DB2 & Informix, so an even higher degree if interoperability is
therefor geospatial data.

Brent Wood

>>> Alex Vinogradovs <AVinogradovs@Clearpathnet.com> 27/03/08 8:20 AM >>>
Shouldn't forget IBM got DB2. Could be they are
just seeking additional userbase in opensource
market space...

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 12:12 -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Clodoaldo wrote:
> > ...IBM is investing...What does it mean for Postgresql?
>
> One cool thing it means is that there are now *two*
> companies (thanks again Fujitsu) bigger than
> Oracle backing (to some extent) Postgres.
>
> And now one company bigger than Microsoft.
>
> Yeah, this doesn't affect the community much. But it
> sure comes in useful when your CFO calls you into a
> meeting and says "Hey, I just had lunch with
> our Microsoft rep and he asked why we're running
> some unsupported freeware database."
>
> Your CFO wouldn't want to run your company on a
> database - like Oracle 10i and MySQL and SQLServer - that
> are only backed by little (under $50B revenue) guys, would he?
>
> :-)

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Brent Wood"
Date:
I need to learn to type!!! try PostGIS  (how did that become PistGIC?  I have no idea)

>>> "Brent Wood" <b.wood@niwa.co.nz> 27/03/08 1:44 PM >>>
Add Informix to the list of IBM's RDBMS products.. Also note that where Postgres has PistGIC as an OGC compliant
geodataextension, IBM already supports this in both DB2 & Informix, so an even higher degree if interoperability is
therefor geospatial data.

Brent Wood

Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB

From
"Gregory Williamson"

Brent Wood typed:

> I need to learn to type!!! try PostGIS  (how did that become PistGIC?  I have no idea)

> Add Informix to the list of IBM's RDBMS products.. Also note that where Postgres has PistGIC
> as an OGC compliant geodata extension, IBM already supports this in both DB2 & Informix, so
>  an even higher degree if interoperability is there for geospatial data.

Informix also offers a geodetic blade, a capability still missing in postGIS. It's a great database, but costs a fair penny to run in a web environment. Perhaps market penetration is getting saturated at that level and they (IBM) are looking to leverage open source. In addition to whatever they desire from EnterpriseDB for support of existing IBM wares ...

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)