Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Williamson
Subject Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB
Date
List pgsql-general

Brent Wood typed:

> I need to learn to type!!! try PostGIS  (how did that become PistGIC?  I have no idea)

> Add Informix to the list of IBM's RDBMS products.. Also note that where Postgres has PistGIC
> as an OGC compliant geodata extension, IBM already supports this in both DB2 & Informix, so
>  an even higher degree if interoperability is there for geospatial data.

Informix also offers a geodetic blade, a capability still missing in postGIS. It's a great database, but costs a fair penny to run in a web environment. Perhaps market penetration is getting saturated at that level and they (IBM) are looking to leverage open source. In addition to whatever they desire from EnterpriseDB for support of existing IBM wares ...

Greg Williamson
Senior DBA
DigitalGlobe

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

(My corporate masters made me say this.)