Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB
Date
Re: IBM investing in EnterpriseDB  (Alex Vinogradovs <AVinogradovs@Clearpathnet.com>)
List pgsql-general
Clodoaldo wrote:
> ...IBM is investing...What does it mean for Postgresql?

One cool thing it means is that there are now *two*
companies (thanks again Fujitsu) bigger than
Oracle backing (to some extent) Postgres.

And now one company bigger than Microsoft.

Yeah, this doesn't affect the community much. But it
sure comes in useful when your CFO calls you into a
meeting and says "Hey, I just had lunch with
our Microsoft rep and he asked why we're running
some unsupported freeware database."

Your CFO wouldn't want to run your company on a
database - like Oracle 10i and MySQL and SQLServer - that
are only backed by little (under $50B revenue) guys, would he?

:-)