APEX / HTML DB for PostgreSQL

From
justin tocci
Date:
In its most basic form a great tool would just start as a pl/pgsql or
pl/perl function that could be used to call a table and have it output
a batch of records to an editable html form or a colored pdf for nice
reports. There would need to be some kind of interface for Apaché of
course.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Best Regards,

Justin Tocci   -   www.unirev.com
7813 Harwood Road, North Richland Hills, TX 76180
cell 817-988-7758   -   land 817-503-9545

----------------------
I am curious to know if there is anything sort of like APEX or Html DB
in the Oracle world available for PostgreSQL. I've done a fairly
extensive search but this could be done in so many ways I could easily
be missing it.

Ultimately I am looking to migrate away from MS Access for my front
end work and get into something web-based. My main concern is that
virtually everything I find wants to take over a large portion of
database functionality for Postgres. This can look like caching,
relationship management or database abstraction, it all boils down to
opportunity for performance degradation to me.

When I write a MS Access front end I place all my business logic in
the database and use Access strictly for forms, menus, excel exporting
and nice looking reports. I'd like a tool that just focused on these
items and did them well through the web.

I read a bit about APEX/Html DB and how it lived entirely in stored
procedures in the database and thought that was a great idea. The
logic is right there, not separate from but actually in the database
engine, so it shouldn't be tempted to duplicate any database
functionality or try to take anything over from the database. So I'm
looking for something like that for PostgreSQL.

-justin

Re: APEX / HTML DB for PostgreSQL

From
Enrico Sirola
Date:
Il giorno 24/feb/08, alle ore 04:53, justin tocci ha scritto:

> In its most basic form a great tool would just start as a pl/pgsql
> or pl/perl function that could be used to call a table and have it
> output a batch of records to an editable html form or a colored pdf
> for nice reports. There would need to be some kind of interface for
> Apaché of course.

I guess the XML functions of 8.3 + an XSL stylesheet shoud do the job...
my 2 cents,
e.

Date:
Il giorno 24/feb/08, alle ore 04:53, justin tocci ha scritto:

> In its most basic form a great tool would just start as a pl/pgsql
> or pl/perl function that could be used to call a table and have it
> output a batch of records to an editable html form or a colored pdf
> for nice reports. There would need to be some kind of interface for
> Apaché of course.
I guess the XML functions of 8.3 + an XSL stylesheet should do the
job... my 2 cents,
e.

I'll take a look at them. Anyone have a recommendation for a CGI
interface? I've thought about it enough to want to try it. I don't
really know how APEX / HTML DB work so I'm open to suggestions. I can
either put the controller in a perl module and send intelligent
requests for formatted pages to postgres or I could attempt to put a
controller into pl/pgsql.

It is amazing to me that a similar project doesn't already exist. I am
still looking though. I think many people have written functions that
output tables into formatted html, Excel and pdf formats.

Regards,

Justin Tocci
www.unirev.com
7813 Harwood Road
North Richland Hills, TX 76180
cell 817-988-7758
land 817-503-9545

Re: APEX / HTML DB for PostgreSQL

From
Lewis Cunningham
Date:
--- justin tocci <justin@tocci.org> wrote:

> interface? I've thought about it enough to want to try it. I don't
> really know how APEX / HTML DB work so I'm open to suggestions. I
> can
> either put the controller in a perl module and send intelligent
> requests for formatted pages to postgres or I could attempt to put
> controller into pl/pgsql.

Just an FYI - ApEx is 100% PL/SQL and completely stored in the
database.  All code and metadata.  It's table driven and users can
create their own screens and reports.  It's actually gotten pretty
advanced and it's very robust.  Oracle runs what it calls the "Oracle
PL/SQL Gateway" to allow access.  That's Apache in the db.

You can read about the architecture here:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B32472_01/doc/appdev.300/b32470/intro_app.htm

No middle tier required, no CGI.

LewisC

Lewis R Cunningham