Re: APEX / HTML DB for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lewis Cunningham
Subject Re: APEX / HTML DB for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
--- justin tocci <justin@tocci.org> wrote:

> interface? I've thought about it enough to want to try it. I don't
> really know how APEX / HTML DB work so I'm open to suggestions. I
> can
> either put the controller in a perl module and send intelligent
> requests for formatted pages to postgres or I could attempt to put
> controller into pl/pgsql.

Just an FYI - ApEx is 100% PL/SQL and completely stored in the
database.  All code and metadata.  It's table driven and users can
create their own screens and reports.  It's actually gotten pretty
advanced and it's very robust.  Oracle runs what it calls the "Oracle
PL/SQL Gateway" to allow access.  That's Apache in the db.

You can read about the architecture here:
http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B32472_01/doc/appdev.300/b32470/intro_app.htm

No middle tier required, no CGI.

LewisC

Lewis R Cunningham