Good F/OSS license summary

From
Reece Hart
Date:
Folks-

A recent thread ( http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-01/msg01595.php ) suggests that there's a lot of interest and knowledge about F/OSS licenses on this list. So...

Does anyone know of an authoritative, complete, and current license comparison? After a lot of trolling, I've been able to satisfy one or two of those criteria, but not all.

-*-mode:opinion-*-
It's disappointing that we as a community have yet to converge on just a few licenses that differ only by the few characteristics that *really* matter (e.g., virality, commercializability, code reciprocation/share-alike, etc). The glut of license options and license compatibility issues create enormous confusion and even some unfortunate internecine FUD -- never mind the real uncertainty caused by the lack of case law in this area. I long for a Creative Commons-like family of licenses for code.

Thanks,
Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://harts.net/reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0

Re: Good F/OSS license summary

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Reece Hart wrote:

> Folks-
>
> A recent thread ( http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-01/msg01595.php
>  ) suggests that there's a lot of interest and knowledge about F/OSS
> licenses on this list. So...
>
> Does anyone know of an authoritative, complete, and current license
> comparison? After a lot of trolling, I've been able to satisfy one
> or two of those criteria, but not all.

There is no such thing as a complete list of license comparisons.

JFGI leads to a lot of obvious links, but http://freshmeat.net/faq/view/48/
  is one of the more useful lists.

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: Good F/OSS license summary

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:17:19AM -0800, Reece Hart wrote:

> Does anyone know of an authoritative, complete, and current license
> comparison? After a lot of trolling, I've been able to satisfy one or
> two of those criteria, but not all.

The FSF has maintained a list of many licenses for years.  It's at
<http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/>.

Certified Open Source Initiative licenses are listed at
<http://opensource.org/licenses>.

I think those are the two main resources for this topic.

> It's disappointing that we as a community have yet to converge on just a
> few licenses that differ only by the few characteristics that *really*
> matter (e.g., virality, commercializability, code

Your problem in the above is that your definitions of "community" and
"really matter" may not be congruent with others'.

Re: Good F/OSS license summary

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Reece Hart wrote:

> Does anyone know of an authoritative, complete, and current license
> comparison?

One of the better ones is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_licences but it's
far from complete.