PostgreSQL is not behaving consistently across platforms

From
Bruno Lavoie
Date:
Hello guys,

Posted this msg on general & hackers list to get most accurate responses
as possible...

I plan to use PG with an OpenCRX project... but I read that there's some
probs with PG and strings comparisons.... Is it true?
Look at: http://www.opencrx.org/opencrx/1.11/pg.htm

Thanks
Bruno

Re: PostgreSQL is not behaving consistently across platforms

Date:
Bruno Lavoie <bruno.lavoie@gmail.com> writes:
> Look at: http://www.opencrx.org/opencrx/1.11/pg.htm

[ shrug... ] Text sort ordering is dependent on the locale you use.
If these folk want C-locale sorting, they need to initdb in C locale.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL is not behaving consistently across platforms

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Bruno Lavoie wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Posted this msg on general & hackers list to get most accurate responses
> as possible...
>
> I plan to use PG with an OpenCRX project... but I read that there's some
> probs with PG and strings comparisons.... Is it true?
> Look at: http://www.opencrx.org/opencrx/1.11/pg.htm

Nothing to add to Tom's response, but it does strike me as odd that they
have a handbook in German and a localisation guide for their application
but don't know about different sort orders in different locales.

Might be worth asking on their support lists/groups about what the
underlying system understands about locales and sorting.

Oh, and if you could let them know about PG's locale handling at the
same time that would be helpful indeed.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: PostgreSQL is not behaving consistently across platforms

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Bruno Lavoie escribió:
> Hello guys,
>
> Posted this msg on general & hackers list to get most accurate responses as
> possible...
>
> I plan to use PG with an OpenCRX project... but I read that there's some
> probs with PG and strings comparisons.... Is it true?
> Look at: http://www.opencrx.org/opencrx/1.11/pg.htm

I find it irritating that they put such comments and not allow the
Postgres people to comment.  Were we even asked about the reason for
that behavior?

Their 'installation book' also contains a couple of infelicities; namely
that they suggest using the "password" auth method (should be md5) and
that they enable the TCP/IP connection by using the "-o -i" params to
pg_ctl (should change postgresql.conf instead).

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.