Postgre and XML

From
"x asasaxax"
Date:
Hi,

   I´m interested in running xml with postgre. I use postgre version 8.2 and windows xp. I would like to know how can i enable the xml in the postgresql.
    Did you know if its secure to use this xml function of postgre in commercial applications? How much trustable its this module? Can anyone explain me how to install the xml module?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Postgre and XML

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Montag, 19. November 2007 schrieb x asasaxax:
>    I´m interested in running xml with postgre. I use postgre version 8.2
> and windows xp. I would like to know how can i enable the xml in the
> postgresql.

That depends on what you want to do with it.  XML is quite a broad topic.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Postgre and XML

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 19. November 2007 schrieb x asasaxax:
> >    I?m interested in running xml with postgre. I use postgre version 8.2
> > and windows xp. I would like to know how can i enable the xml in the
> > postgresql.
>
> That depends on what you want to do with it.  XML is quite a broad topic.

Here is our Postgres 8.2 documentation about XML:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-xml.html

Postgres 8.3 has some new XML features:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

Re: Postgre and XML

From
"x asasaxax"
Date:
I dont know how can i enable the xml in postgre. I´ve tried to do a xml search function but it seams that the postgre doesen´t recognized the function. How can I install and use the xml on the postgre?

Thanks

2007/11/19, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 19. November 2007 schrieb x asasaxax:
> >    I?m interested in running xml with postgre. I use postgre version 8.2
> > and windows xp. I would like to know how can i enable the xml in the
> > postgresql.
>
> That depends on what you want to do with it.  XML is quite a broad topic.

Here is our Postgres 8.2 documentation about XML:

         http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-xml.html

Postgres 8.3 has some new XML features:

        http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: Postgre and XML

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
x asasaxax escribió:
> I dont know how can i enable the xml in postgre. I´ve tried to do a xml
> search function but it seams that the postgre doesen´t recognized the
> function. How can I install and use the xml on the postgre?

What version of Postgres?  In Postgres 8.2 and earlier, you need to
install a Postgres contrib module.  In Postgres 8.3 (currently in beta),
you need to rebuild Postgres with --with-libxml to enable the internal
Postgres XML functionality.

Note to Postgres people: do we think that repetition will cause the
correct name to stick?

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"La gente vulgar solo piensa en pasar el tiempo;

Re: Postgre and XML

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
x asasaxax wrote on 19.11.2007 12:17:
> Hi,
>
>    I´m interested in running xml with postgre. I use postgre version 8.2 and
> windows xp. I would like to know how can i enable the xml in the postgresql.
>
>     Did you know if its secure to use this xml function of postgre in
> commercial applications? How much trustable its this module? Can anyone
> explain me how to install the xml module?
>
> Thanks for the help.

The Postgres Windows installer will ask you if you want to install (and enable)
the XML module (at least it did for me)

But I have no clue how you would enable the module after the installation has
finished.

Regards
Thomas

Re: Postgre and XML

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 19/11/2007 21:44, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> But I have no clue how you would enable the module after the
> installation has finished.

I think you have to run an SQL script to enable the module.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Postgre and XML

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 19/11/2007 22:05, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 19/11/2007 21:44, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>
>> But I have no clue how you would enable the module after the
>> installation has finished.
>
> I think you have to run an SQL script to enable the module.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. :-) I should have said that there's
usually an SQL script that comes with the particular module, which you
need to run against your database to enable the module.

On my XP laptop, a peek into

   C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\share\contrib

reveals files named pgxml.sql and uninstall_pgxml.sql which ought to do
the job.

A further peek into

   C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\doc\contrib

reveals a whole bunch of README files, one for each contrib module, with
detailed instructions and other good stuff.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie