relations does not exist

From
ctorres
Date:
Hi,

I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
"INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
                 VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial Import','PARTY_ENABLED')

and I'm getting a
"ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
I get the same error message in pgadmin.

The table "party" certainly exists.

I have searched for answers without any luck.
Anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance, Case

Re: relations does not exist

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On Tuesday 16 October 2007, ctorres <ctorres@quantumcomposers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
> "INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
>                  VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial Import','PARTY_ENABLED')
>
> and I'm getting a
> "ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
> I get the same error message in pgadmin.
>
> The table "party" certainly exists.

Are you really connecting to the database you think you are?

--
Peak Oil is now accepted as inevitable, and the debate only becomes as
to when - James Schlesinger, former US Secretary of Energy

Re: relations does not exist

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Tuesday 16 October 2007 12:20 pm, ctorres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
> "INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
>                  VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial Import','PARTY_ENABLED')
>
> and I'm getting a
> "ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
> I get the same error message in pgadmin.
>
> The table "party" certainly exists.
>
> I have searched for answers without any luck.
> Anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Case
Two things come to mind.
1) Do you have  the necessary permissions to access the schema table 'party'
is in?
2) How was the name for 'party' originally entered? It could be a case
sensitive problem. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html
Section 4.1.1 for a complete explanation. Basically if the table name was
entered with quotes in a form other than 'party' then selecting for 'party'
will result in the error above.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net

Re: relations does not exist

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
>> "INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
>>                  VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial
Import','PARTY_ENABLED')

>> and I'm getting a
>> "ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
>> I get the same error message in pgadmin.
>>
>> The table "party" certainly exists.
>
> Two things come to mind.
> 1) Do you have  the necessary permissions to access the
> schema table 'party' is in?
> 2) How was the name for 'party' originally entered? It could
> be a case sensitive problem. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html
> Section 4.1.1 for a complete explanation. Basically if the
> table name was entered with quotes in a form other than 'party' then
> selecting for 'party' will result in the error above.

Other possibilities:

- Your schema search_path is set to not include the schema that
  contains the table.
- You are in the wrong database.

What is the exact command with which you prove your claim that
'The table "party" certainly exists'?

Is this command issued as the same user that runs the insert?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe