Re: relations does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: relations does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
>> "INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
>>                  VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial
Import','PARTY_ENABLED')

>> and I'm getting a
>> "ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
>> I get the same error message in pgadmin.
>>
>> The table "party" certainly exists.
>
> Two things come to mind.
> 1) Do you have  the necessary permissions to access the
> schema table 'party' is in?
> 2) How was the name for 'party' originally entered? It could
> be a case sensitive problem. See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html
> Section 4.1.1 for a complete explanation. Basically if the
> table name was entered with quotes in a form other than 'party' then
> selecting for 'party' will result in the error above.

Other possibilities:

- Your schema search_path is set to not include the schema that
  contains the table.
- You are in the wrong database.

What is the exact command with which you prove your claim that
'The table "party" certainly exists'?

Is this command issued as the same user that runs the insert?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe