Re: relations does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: relations does not exist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 16 October 2007 12:20 pm, ctorres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I doing a simple insert into a table re Perl/DBI
> "INSERT INTO party (party_id, party_type_id, description, status_id)
>                  VALUES ($partyId, 'PERSON', 'Initial Import','PARTY_ENABLED')
>
> and I'm getting a
> "ERROR: relations "party" does not exist"
> I get the same error message in pgadmin.
>
> The table "party" certainly exists.
>
> I have searched for answers without any luck.
> Anyone know what might be going on and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Case
Two things come to mind.
1) Do you have  the necessary permissions to access the schema table 'party'
is in?
2) How was the name for 'party' originally entered? It could be a case
sensitive problem. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html
Section 4.1.1 for a complete explanation. Basically if the table name was
entered with quotes in a form other than 'party' then selecting for 'party'
will result in the error above.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net