Intelligent Database in postgreSQL

From
"Rodrigo Faccioli"
Date:
Hi,

I'm a new user's postgreSQL and I have a question: Is possible add function of intelligent System like Neural Networks or Fuzzy Logic within postgre SGDB?

For example: I have a database and I want to execute a select instruction. But, this select constains there is  column  that uses a Perceptron Neural Networks for return a result, follow below:

        Select perceptron(vendas_cli)
        from client
        Where vendas_cli > 1000

Thanks,

Re: Intelligent Database in postgreSQL

From
"Josh Tolley"
Date:
On 8/6/07, Rodrigo Faccioli <faccioli.postgresql@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user's postgreSQL and I have a question: Is possible add function
> of intelligent System like Neural Networks or Fuzzy Logic within postgre
> SGDB?
>
> For example: I have a database and I want to execute a select instruction.
> But, this select constains there is  column  that uses a Perceptron Neural
> Networks for return a result, follow below:
>
>         Select perceptron(vendas_cli)
>         from client
>         Where vendas_cli > 1000
>
> Thanks,

PostgreSQL allows you to add your own functions in any of several
different languages, including Perl and C. If you can code your
perceptron function in one of the languages PostgreSQL understands,
you can do exactly what you suggest. Refer to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/xplang.html for starter
documentation.

- Josh

Re: Intelligent Database in postgreSQL

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Rodrigo Faccioli wrote:

> I'm a new user's postgreSQL and I have a question: Is possible add
> function of intelligent System like Neural Networks or Fuzzy Logic within
> postgre SGDB?

   Inherently, no. But, there is a fellow at a Bulgarian university that is
developing a fuzzy SQL addon. I've not looked at it in a while because we
don't need that capability right now.

   I've never looked for a hook to a NN so I cannot comment on that. Neural
networks, of course, are totally different from fuzzy logic, and address
different problems. They are not interchangable.

Rich

Re: Intelligent Database in postgreSQL

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 07:37:09PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Rodrigo Faccioli wrote:
>
> >I'm a new user's postgreSQL and I have a question: Is possible add
> >function of intelligent System like Neural Networks or Fuzzy Logic within
> >postgre SGDB?
>
>   Inherently, no. But, there is a fellow at a Bulgarian university that is
> developing a fuzzy SQL addon. I've not looked at it in a while because we
> don't need that capability right now.
>
>   I've never looked for a hook to a NN so I cannot comment on that. Neural
> networks, of course, are totally different from fuzzy logic, and address
> different problems. They are not interchangable.

See also http://pgfoundry.org/projects/qbe/ (note that it has *nothing*
to do with QBE as termed by Microsoft and some other tools).
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org