contributing patches

From
"Robert Haas"
Date:
These may be more -hackers questions, but I am duly following protocol
by trying elsewhere first.

1. Does the PostgreSQL development team require the assignment of
copyright in order to accept contributions?  If so, is there a standard
form that is normally used for this purpose?  Or, alternatively, do I
need to provide something that says that my employer does not assert
copyright over code that I submit?  (i.e. it's mine, not theirs)

2. My understanding is that we are currently in feature freeze for 8.3.
I think this means that it's a bad time to discuss features for 8.4, or
to provide patches implementing such features.  Assuming that's the
case, when would the appropriate time be?

Thanks,

...Robert

Re: contributing patches

Date:
"Robert Haas" <Robert.Haas@dyntek.com> writes:
> 1. Does the PostgreSQL development team require the assignment of
> copyright in order to accept contributions?  If so, is there a standard
> form that is normally used for this purpose?  Or, alternatively, do I
> need to provide something that says that my employer does not assert
> copyright over code that I submit?  (i.e. it's mine, not theirs)

We require that all submissions conform to the Postgres BSD license,
but we are not picky about requiring paperwork to prove it.  Just put
the same copyright header into any added files as you see in existing
files.

> 2. My understanding is that we are currently in feature freeze for 8.3.
> I think this means that it's a bad time to discuss features for 8.4, or
> to provide patches implementing such features.  Assuming that's the
> case, when would the appropriate time be?

Yeah, the core team does not have a lot of bandwidth right now for
thinking about 8.4 development.  You don't have to wait for 8.3
final release, but probably after the first couple of betas are out
would be better than now.  Bear in mind also that any patches developed
now are likely to have merge problems after the pgindent run that will
occur late in beta --- so you might want to wait till after that before
starting any large coding effort.

            regards, tom lane

Re: contributing patches

From
"Robert Haas"
Date:
> We require that all submissions conform to the Postgres BSD license,
> but we are not picky about requiring paperwork to prove it.  Just put
> the same copyright header into any added files as you see in existing
> files.

OK cool.

> Yeah, the core team does not have a lot of bandwidth right now for
> thinking about 8.4 development.  You don't have to wait for 8.3
> final release, but probably after the first couple of betas are out
> would be better than now.  Bear in mind also that any patches
developed
> now are likely to have merge problems after the pgindent run that will
> occur late in beta --- so you might want to wait till after that
before
> starting any large coding effort.

OK.  I wrote a patch to implement the following TODO item, which I
selected on the basis of the fact that it appeared to be easy:

* %Add a separate TRUNCATE permission

  Currently only the owner can TRUNCATE a table because triggers are not
  called, and the table is locked in exclusive mode.

It was easy, so I can update the patch as necessary until it can be
submitted.

Thanks,

...Robert

Re: contributing patches

Date:
Robert, would you email us the patch?  Thanks.

Robert Haas wrote:
> > We require that all submissions conform to the Postgres BSD license,
> > but we are not picky about requiring paperwork to prove it.  Just put
> > the same copyright header into any added files as you see in existing
> > files.
>
> OK cool.
>
> > Yeah, the core team does not have a lot of bandwidth right now for
> > thinking about 8.4 development.  You don't have to wait for 8.3
> > final release, but probably after the first couple of betas are out
> > would be better than now.  Bear in mind also that any patches
> developed
> > now are likely to have merge problems after the pgindent run that will
> > occur late in beta --- so you might want to wait till after that
> before
> > starting any large coding effort.
>
> OK.  I wrote a patch to implement the following TODO item, which I
> selected on the basis of the fact that it appeared to be easy:
>
> * %Add a separate TRUNCATE permission
>
>   Currently only the owner can TRUNCATE a table because triggers are not
>   called, and the table is locked in exclusive mode.
>
> It was easy, so I can update the patch as necessary until it can be
> submitted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ...Robert

>                http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: contributing patches

Date:
Great, would you please end your truncate patch to the patches email
list?  Thanks.

Robert Haas wrote:
> > We require that all submissions conform to the Postgres BSD license,
> > but we are not picky about requiring paperwork to prove it.  Just put
> > the same copyright header into any added files as you see in existing
> > files.
>
> OK cool.
>
> > Yeah, the core team does not have a lot of bandwidth right now for
> > thinking about 8.4 development.  You don't have to wait for 8.3
> > final release, but probably after the first couple of betas are out
> > would be better than now.  Bear in mind also that any patches
> developed
> > now are likely to have merge problems after the pgindent run that will
> > occur late in beta --- so you might want to wait till after that
> before
> > starting any large coding effort.
>
> OK.  I wrote a patch to implement the following TODO item, which I
> selected on the basis of the fact that it appeared to be easy:
>
> * %Add a separate TRUNCATE permission
>
>   Currently only the owner can TRUNCATE a table because triggers are not
>   called, and the table is locked in exclusive mode.
>
> It was easy, so I can update the patch as necessary until it can be
> submitted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ...Robert

>                http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: contributing patches

From
"Robert Haas"
Date:
I have to dig this up and see if I still have it.

...Robert

Great, would you please end your truncate patch to the patches email
list?  Thanks.

---