Re: contributing patches - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: contributing patches
Date
List pgsql-general
"Robert Haas" <Robert.Haas@dyntek.com> writes:
> 1. Does the PostgreSQL development team require the assignment of
> copyright in order to accept contributions?  If so, is there a standard
> form that is normally used for this purpose?  Or, alternatively, do I
> need to provide something that says that my employer does not assert
> copyright over code that I submit?  (i.e. it's mine, not theirs)

We require that all submissions conform to the Postgres BSD license,
but we are not picky about requiring paperwork to prove it.  Just put
the same copyright header into any added files as you see in existing
files.

> 2. My understanding is that we are currently in feature freeze for 8.3.
> I think this means that it's a bad time to discuss features for 8.4, or
> to provide patches implementing such features.  Assuming that's the
> case, when would the appropriate time be?

Yeah, the core team does not have a lot of bandwidth right now for
thinking about 8.4 development.  You don't have to wait for 8.3
final release, but probably after the first couple of betas are out
would be better than now.  Bear in mind also that any patches developed
now are likely to have merge problems after the pgindent run that will
occur late in beta --- so you might want to wait till after that before
starting any large coding effort.

            regards, tom lane