I have a requirement of incorporating a database in a hard disk drive.

Can postgresql do the job? Any consultants out here that have done this?

If not, any suggestions?

Ray Hurst

Western Digital

20511 Lake Forest Drive

Lake Forest, CA 92630

949-672-9853

In a hard disk drive?  My god, why?  If you're doing embedded
programming, don't carry over applications that were never intended
for it.  Go port eForth or Pygmy Forth to your hard drive, or at least
set up a C cross compiler, and write whatever hash tables you need.
If you're trying to make a device smart enough where you really need
all the features and sophistication of Postgres, it's time to question
whether it's a device or a computer.

--
Frederick Ross
Graduate Fellow, (|Siggia> + |McKinney>)/sqrt(2) Lab

    If you want embedded SQL, you'll probably have only 1 user at a time so
sqlite is a better choice.
    But do you want embedded SQL ?

Raymond Hurst wrote:

> I have a requirement of incorporating a database in a hard disk drive.

Well, back in the day there was a man called Dick Pick. The US Goverment had the
same request. They wanted a database incorporated into a hard disk drive, and
that's what they got. An operating system and database in one, on the hard
drive. Damn good database, still in use all over the world. IBM even distributes
2 versions today.

I don't think that's what our good friends at Western Digital are asking about.
I'm guessing that you are looking for some sort of database that you can embed
in the drive controller logic, and would postgreSQL work in that environment?

Is that the question?

--
Walter

Walter Vaughan wrote:
> Raymond Hurst wrote:
>
>> I have a requirement of incorporating a database in a hard disk drive.
>
> Well, back in the day there was a man called Dick Pick. The US Goverment
> had the same request. They wanted a database incorporated into a hard
> disk drive, and that's what they got. An operating system and database
> in one, on the hard drive. Damn good database, still in use all over the
> world. IBM even distributes 2 versions today.

That takes me back - hours of endless fun trying to get tape drives to
work with native Advanced Pick - and it wasn't a great deal better on
the 'alongside HP-UX' version. So much easier when Unidata came along
and didn't try to be an OS as well as a DBMS.... Ahh, those were the
days :-)

Regards, Dave.