Print database name

From
"Woody Woodring"
Date:
Is there a sql command to print out which database I am connected to?

I am using "psql -f sqlFile" in a sh script to up date tables on multiple
databases.  I would like to have the sqlFile display the db name so I would
know which output lines go with each db without having to count the output
lines.

Thanks,
Woody

iGLASS Networks
211-A S. Salem St
Apex NC 27502
(919) 387-3550 x813
www.iglass.net

Re: Print database name

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 08:51:28AM -0400, Woody Woodring wrote:
> Is there a sql command to print out which database I am connected to?

SELECT current_database();

See "System Information Functions" in the documentation for other
such functions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/functions-info.html

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Print database name

From
Jaime Silvela
Date:
I know you've probably discussed this in many places, but I have a crash
right now I need to recover from, and I'm not finding documentation that
fast.
Where should I go?

Below you can see the log on starting, after a kill -9 of a process
brought Postgres down.
After letting postgres run for a while, it seems to have fixed itself,
and now the log does not suggest any corruption, and I can access it
locally. However, TCP/IP connections are rejected. Any ideas?
Is there a page/s with information on quick recovery after corruption?

LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by
protocol
LOG:  database system was interrupted while in recovery at 2007-04-05
08:18:47 EDT
HINT:  This probably means that some data is corrupted and you will have
to use the last backup for recovery.

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Crash recovery

From
Jaime Silvela
Date:
Apologies for the duplication - I've been having email problems.

Date:
Jaime Silvela <JSilvela@Bear.com> writes:
> Below you can see the log on starting, after a kill -9 of a process
> brought Postgres down.
> After letting postgres run for a while, it seems to have fixed itself,
> and now the log does not suggest any corruption, and I can access it
> locally. However, TCP/IP connections are rejected. Any ideas?

1. Please do not hijack existing threads for an unrelated question.

2. You must have changed postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf to reject
outside connections.  This might have happened some time ago and only
shown up upon postmaster restart, if you'd neglected to SIGHUP the
postmaster after the change...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Print database name

From
Jaime Silvela
Date:
1. Sorry, that was an accident. I sent a new thread to the list and it
didn't make it. Thinking I had gotten the address wrong, I "replied to"
this thread and accidentally hit send, forgetting to change the subject.
My apologies, no hijacking was intended.

2. Close. The database was generally restarted with a script that would
call postmaster with the "-i" option. The conf file never allowed TCP/IP
connections, which didn't become apparent until I tried to restart using
pg_ctl with no options.

Thank you , and sorry again
Jaime

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jaime Silvela <JSilvela@Bear.com> writes:
>
>> Below you can see the log on starting, after a kill -9 of a process
>> brought Postgres down.
>> After letting postgres run for a while, it seems to have fixed itself,
>> and now the log does not suggest any corruption, and I can access it
>> locally. However, TCP/IP connections are rejected. Any ideas?
>>

> 1. Please do not hijack existing threads for an unrelated question.
>
> 2. You must have changed postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf to reject
> outside connections.  This might have happened some time ago and only
> shown up upon postmaster restart, if you'd neglected to SIGHUP the
> postmaster after the change...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Re: Print database name

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 11:17:49AM -0400, Jaime Silvela wrote:
> 1. Sorry, that was an accident. I sent a new thread to the list and it
> didn't make it. Thinking I had gotten the address wrong, I "replied to"
> this thread and accidentally hit send, forgetting to change the subject.
> My apologies, no hijacking was intended.

Umm, changing the subject doesn't make a new thread. It looks like it
does in some mailers, but it doesn't actually...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment