documentation generator for pgsql

From
"jezemine"
Date:
Just a quick note to let you all know about a shareware app I wrote
called SqlSpec that will generate documentation for any PostgreSQL 8.0
and up
database.  As far as I know, this is the only doc generator tool on
the market that works against PostgreSQL.

In addition to PostgreSQL, it also supports SQL Server, Oracle, DB2,
Sybase ASE,
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Analysis Server, and Access.  This encompasses
pretty much 100% of the RDBMS on the market today.

It's available here: http://www.elsasoft.org

There are samples here, including one for pg: http://www.elsasoft.org/samples.htm

Thanks,
Jesse

Re: documentation generator for pgsql

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:50 PM, jezemine wrote:

> Just a quick note to let you all know about a shareware app I wrote
> called SqlSpec that will generate documentation for any PostgreSQL 8.0
> and up
> database.  As far as I know, this is the only doc generator tool on
> the market that works against PostgreSQL.

There are a few others.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc
http://dbmstools.sourceforge.net/
http://sqlfairy.sourceforge.net/

are some of the ones with explicit postgresql support I've played
with in the past. I've had some luck using the ODBC or
JDBC based ones too.

> It's available here: http://www.elsasoft.org
>
> There are samples here, including one for pg: http://
> www.elsasoft.org/samples.htm

Cheers,
   Steve

Date:
> There are a few others.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/postgresql_autodoc
> http://dbmstools.sourceforge.net/
> http://sqlfairy.sourceforge.net/
>
> are some of the ones with explicit postgresql support I've played
> with in the past. I've had some luck using the ODBC or
> JDBC based ones too.

thanks for the links - good to know.  they are ok, but sqlspec is much
more comprehensive.

for example, compare these:
http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/autodocexample.html
http://dbmstools.sourceforge.net/samples/xml2doc/schema-jcr-frames/index-jcr-postgres8.html

to this:
http://www.elsasoft.org/chm/dellstore.zip (chm)
http://www.elsasoft.org/localhost.dellstore (IE)
http://www.elsasoft.org/tabular/localhost.dellstore (non-IE, eg,
firefox)

not to mention that sqlspec supports every other DBMS of
consequence. ;)

Jesse