PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
RPK
Date:
When I run the setup of PGSQL 8.2.3, it displays error while initializing
database cluster. Error displayed is: "Failed to execute initdb. Unable to
set file system permissions".

I am installing on Windows XP SP2 with "administrator" log in.

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
marcelo Cortez
Date:
hi there

same things occurs to me.
 Any body install win32 version with success???

 best regards
 MDC

--- RPK <rohitprakash123@indiatimes.com> escribió:

> When I run the setup of PGSQL 8.2.3, it displays
> error while initializing
> database cluster. Error displayed is: "Failed to
> execute initdb. Unable to
> set file system permissions".
>
> I am installing on Windows XP SP2 with
> "administrator" log in.
> archive at Nabble.com.
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
Paul Lambert
Date:
marcelo Cortez wrote:
> hi there
>
> same things occurs to me.
>  Any body install win32 version with success???
>
>  best regards
>  MDC
>

> --- RPK <rohitprakash123@indiatimes.com> escribió:
>
>> When I run the setup of PGSQL 8.2.3, it displays
>> error while initializing
>> database cluster. Error displayed is: "Failed to
>> execute initdb. Unable to
>> set file system permissions".
>>
>> I am installing on Windows XP SP2 with
>> "administrator" log in.
>> --
>> archive at Nabble.com.
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> ¡Probalo ya!
> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

I've installed it on my WinXP Professional SP2 (32 bit) machine without
error.

Action start 6:33:07: SetPermissions.
1: Setting filesystem permissions...
Action ended 6:33:07: SetPermissions. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (F4:44) [06:33:07:312]: Doing action: RunInitdb
Action 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Initializing database cluster (this may take
a minute or two)...
Action start 6:33:07: RunInitdb.
1: Initializing database cluster (this may take a minute or two)...
Action ended 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Return value 1.

I wasn't installing under administrator, did this under my own account
and had the install create the 'postgres' user account.

Perhaps something wrong with the default file permissions where you are
installing Postgres. I assume Postgres creates directories that inherit
the parent directory permissions. If you have given the parent
restricted access, the 'postgres' user that PG runs under may not have
access to those dirs.

Only thing I can think of anyway, if not then I am not sure why you
would be having a problem.

Regards,
Paul.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
RPK
Date:
Paul,

I installed on a Fat32 partition and gave the data directory path to an NTFS
partition. I have not set any file permissions. Installing as a default
"postgres" user.

Paul Lambert-2 wrote:

> marcelo Cortez wrote:
>> hi there
>>
>> same things occurs to me.
>>  Any body install win32 version with success???
>>
>>  best regards
>>  MDC
>>

>> --- RPK <rohitprakash123@indiatimes.com> escribió:
>>
>>> When I run the setup of PGSQL 8.2.3, it displays
>>> error while initializing
>>> database cluster. Error displayed is: "Failed to
>>> execute initdb. Unable to
>>> set file system permissions".
>>>
>>> I am installing on Windows XP SP2 with
>>> "administrator" log in.
>>> --
>>> archive at Nabble.com.
>>>

>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

>> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
>> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
>> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
>> ¡Probalo ya!
>> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>>

> I've installed it on my WinXP Professional SP2 (32 bit) machine without
> error.
>
> Action start 6:33:07: SetPermissions.
> 1: Setting filesystem permissions...
> Action ended 6:33:07: SetPermissions. Return value 1.
> MSI (s) (F4:44) [06:33:07:312]: Doing action: RunInitdb
> Action 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Initializing database cluster (this may take
> a minute or two)...
> Action start 6:33:07: RunInitdb.
> 1: Initializing database cluster (this may take a minute or two)...
> Action ended 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Return value 1.
>
> I wasn't installing under administrator, did this under my own account
> and had the install create the 'postgres' user account.
>
> Perhaps something wrong with the default file permissions where you are
> installing Postgres. I assume Postgres creates directories that inherit
> the parent directory permissions. If you have given the parent
> restricted access, the 'postgres' user that PG runs under may not have
> access to those dirs.
>
> Only thing I can think of anyway, if not then I am not sure why you
> would be having a problem.
>
> Regards,
> Paul.
>
> --
> Paul Lambert
> Database Administrator
> AutoLedgers

>        match

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
The installer is not supported in a fat environment. you need to install the binaries manually for that.

/Magnus

> I installed on a Fat32 partition and gave the data directory path to an NTFS
> partition. I have not set any file permissions. Installing as a default
> "postgres" user.
>

> Paul Lambert-2 wrote:
> >
> > marcelo Cortez wrote:
> >> hi there
> >>
> >> same things occurs to me.
> >>  Any body install win32 version with success???
> >>
> >>  best regards
> >>  MDC

> >> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> >> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> >> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> >> ¡Probalo ya!
> >> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas
> >>

> >> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >>
> >>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
> >>

> > I've installed it on my WinXP Professional SP2 (32 bit) machine without
> > error.
> >
> > Action start 6:33:07: SetPermissions.
> > 1: Setting filesystem permissions...
> > Action ended 6:33:07: SetPermissions. Return value 1.
> > MSI (s) (F4:44) [06:33:07:312]: Doing action: RunInitdb
> > Action 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Initializing database cluster (this may take
> > a minute or two)...
> > Action start 6:33:07: RunInitdb.
> > 1: Initializing database cluster (this may take a minute or two)...
> > Action ended 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Return value 1.
> >
> > I wasn't installing under administrator, did this under my own account
> > and had the install create the 'postgres' user account.
> >
> > Perhaps something wrong with the default file permissions where you are
> > installing Postgres. I assume Postgres creates directories that inherit
> > the parent directory permissions. If you have given the parent
> > restricted access, the 'postgres' user that PG runs under may not have
> > access to those dirs.
> >
> > Only thing I can think of anyway, if not then I am not sure why you
> > would be having a problem.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul.
> >
> > --
> > Paul Lambert
> > Database Administrator
> > AutoLedgers

> > TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >        match

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
marcelo Cortez
Date:
Magnus

  I have NTFS only , i don't have FAT partitions at
all.
 But the problem is not resolved.
 The install fail at create cluster for me.
 I set all permisions for user postgres.

 Binary manual installation .. make sense   i try .
 It has any  manual/instructions/links for that?

Best regards
 MDC

http://www.nabble.com/PGSQL-8.2.3-Installation-problem-tf3221486.html#a8947083

Date:
marcelo Cortez wrote:
> Magnus
>
>   I have NTFS only , i don't have FAT partitions at
> all.
>  But the problem is not resolved.
>  The install fail at create cluster for me.
>  I set all permisions for user postgres.
>
>  Binary manual installation .. make sense   i try .
>  It has any  manual/instructions/links for that?
>
> Best regards
>  MDC

Have you run the setup with the 'write detailed installation log to
postgresql-8.2.log in the current directory' checked?

Can you paste the relevant bits of that log (which you can find in the
same directory as the installation file) into a message so more educated
persons can take a look?

If it's a file system problem, I'd also suggest going to
http://www.sysinternals.com to their file and disk utilities, download
ntfilemon and run it to monitor file activity (HINT: Set the filter to
include only *postgres*, otherwise you will be flooded with information
relating to file system access from everything else on your server - and
turn on advanced output) that may show you more information about what
the error was from the file system point of view.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem

From
marcelo Cortez
Date:
Paul

 Thanks for your time.
 the installer log say:

fixing permissions on existing directory C:/Archivos
de programa/PostgreSQL/8.2/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create
directory "C:/Archivos de programa": File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory
"C:/Archivos de programa/PostgreSQL/8.2/data"

note path is truncated in message ???
 file not exists i delete directory
 one more time thanks

 best regardsd
  mdc

--- Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@autoledgers.com.au>

Date:
On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:18:25AM -0300, marcelo Cortez wrote:
> Paul
>
>  Thanks for your time.
>  the installer log say:
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory C:/Archivos
> de programa/PostgreSQL/8.2/data ... ok
> creating subdirectories ... initdb: could not create
> directory "C:/Archivos de programa": File exists
> initdb: removing contents of data directory
> "C:/Archivos de programa/PostgreSQL/8.2/data"
>
> note path is truncated in message ???
>  file not exists i delete directory
>  one more time thanks

This sounds like a permissions problem on either c:\ or c:\archivos de
programa.

Note that the account must have specific permissions there *not* granted
through the user of Administrators or Power Users, because those
permissions are given up before it tries to access them.

//Magnus