Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Lambert
Subject Re: PGSQL 8.2.3 Installation problem
Date
List pgsql-general
marcelo Cortez wrote:
> hi there
>
> same things occurs to me.
>  Any body install win32 version with success???
>
>  best regards
>  MDC
>

> --- RPK <rohitprakash123@indiatimes.com> escribió:
>
>> When I run the setup of PGSQL 8.2.3, it displays
>> error while initializing
>> database cluster. Error displayed is: "Failed to
>> execute initdb. Unable to
>> set file system permissions".
>>
>> I am installing on Windows XP SP2 with
>> "administrator" log in.
>> --
>> archive at Nabble.com.
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> ¡Probalo ya!
> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

I've installed it on my WinXP Professional SP2 (32 bit) machine without
error.

Action start 6:33:07: SetPermissions.
1: Setting filesystem permissions...
Action ended 6:33:07: SetPermissions. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (F4:44) [06:33:07:312]: Doing action: RunInitdb
Action 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Initializing database cluster (this may take
a minute or two)...
Action start 6:33:07: RunInitdb.
1: Initializing database cluster (this may take a minute or two)...
Action ended 6:33:07: RunInitdb. Return value 1.

I wasn't installing under administrator, did this under my own account
and had the install create the 'postgres' user account.

Perhaps something wrong with the default file permissions where you are
installing Postgres. I assume Postgres creates directories that inherit
the parent directory permissions. If you have given the parent
restricted access, the 'postgres' user that PG runs under may not have
access to those dirs.

Only thing I can think of anyway, if not then I am not sure why you
would be having a problem.

Regards,
Paul.

--