Building web sites using a database

From
"Jan Mura"
Date:
                    Hello,
I would like to ask if there is a genral concept of creating web pages using
a database and PHP or another scripting language.
What I mean is to store basic entities and relations between pages. Only the
certain texts or information regarding every site will differ. But indeex
page, search page, result page and so on for every site should look
similarly so the application select a structure of a page from DB and add
certain text.
I am not sure if I am clear.
The aim is to create sites quickly because a creator just insert into the
database text for every page.
And I am looking for some documentation or info how to do this and how to deal with such things.

Thanks

Re: Building web sites using a database

From
"Chad Wagner"
Date:
I would like to ask if there is a genral concept of creating web pages using
a database and PHP or another scripting language.
What I mean is to store basic entities and relations between pages. Only the
certain texts or information regarding every site will differ. But indeex
page, search page, result page and so on for every site should look
similarly so the application select a structure of a page from DB and add
certain text.

It sounds like you want a content management system, I would take a look at the Joomla project.  If I recall you can use PostgreSQL as a backend (if not there is easily 50~60 different content management systems out there ranging from open source to commercial).  I certainly wouldn't write your own.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/

Re: Building web sites using a database

From
Richard Huxton
Jan Mura wrote:
>                     Hello,
> I would like to ask if there is a genral concept of creating web pages using
> a database and PHP or another scripting language.

The term you'll want to search on is "Content Management System" or CMS.
There are plenty to choose from: Plone, Zope, Mambo etc.
Try here to start: http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Although they all provide a front-end to edit pages, they all have the
page text stored in a database (usually PostgreSQL or MySQL).

If that's more than you want, there are many templating systems for php,
perl, python, ruby etc.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Building web sites using a database

From
Tony Caduto
Jan Mura wrote:
>                     Hello,
> I would like to ask if there is a genral concept of creating web pages
> using
> a database and PHP or another scripting language.
> What I mean is to store basic entities and relations between pages.
> Only the
> certain texts or information regarding every site will differ. But indeex
> page, search page, result page and so on for every site should look
> similarly so the application select a structure of a page from DB and add
> certain text.
> I am not sure if I am clear.
> The aim is to create sites quickly because a creator just insert into the
> database text for every page.
> And I am looking for some documentation or info how to do this and how
> to deal with such things.
>
> Thanks
> Jan Mura
> jan.mura@volny.cz <mailto:jan.mura@volny.cz>

Well, you could always start with something like Drupal:
http://www.drupal.com
You can create sites very quickly and everything is stored in a Postgresql
or MySQL database.

I recently converted my website to it and could not be more happy :-)

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Building web sites using a database

From
"John D. Burger"
Date:
> Well, you could always start with something like Drupal:
> http://www.drupal.com

I get access denied, seems to be here, rather: drupal.org

- John Burger
   MITRE

"shakahshakah@gmail.com"
Date: