DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Date:
Hi
I'm using postgresql version 1.4.3.
Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to accomplish this task.
Which version of DBI should I be using.
I mean if any one of you could give me exact pointers to it, would be highly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jas

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:49:59PM -0500, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> Hi
> I'm using postgresql version 1.4.3.

No such version exists. What exactly do you mean?

> Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
> Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to accomplish this task.
> Which version of DBI should I be using.

Whichever version is installed by your system should be fine. Clients
are compatable across many versions.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Date:
I've downloaded dbd:pg 1.49.
Should work?

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org >   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 21:05 +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:49:59PM -0500, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> > Hi
> > I'm using postgresql version 1.4.3.
>
> No such version exists. What exactly do you mean?

I am guessing he means DBD::Pg 1.4.3 to PostgreSQL version <something>

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Date:
Oops my bad.
That 1.4.3 was pgadmin versioin actually.
Sorry about that

On 12/1/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com > wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 21:05 +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 02:49:59PM -0500, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> > Hi
> > I'm using postgresql version 1.4.3.
>
> No such version exists. What exactly do you mean?

I am guessing he means DBD::Pg 1.4.3 to PostgreSQL version <something>

Joshua D. Drake

> > Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
> > Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to accomplish this task.
> > Which version of DBI should I be using.
>
> Whichever version is installed by your system should be fine. Clients
> are compatable across many versions.
>
> Have a nice day,

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
> Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
> Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to
> accomplish this task.
> Which version of DBI should I be using.
> I mean if any one of you could give me exact pointers to it,
> would be highly appreciated.

Yes, perl(DBI) is the canonical way to connect to a database
from Perl. You will need the DBD::Pg driver too.
Both modules can be obtained from CPAN (e.g. http://www.cpan.org),
maybe there are even binary packages for your operating
system available.
I'd use the latest stable version.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Tshimanga Minkoka"
Date:
You can also give a try to DBD::PgPP !

TSHIMANGA Minkoka
VAS Administrator
Mobile: +243 814443113
Office: +243 813131347
Fax:    +243 813010373
Email:  tshimanga.minkoka@vodacom.cd
VODACOM CONGO (DRC) s.p.r.l.

> Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
> Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to
> accomplish this task.
> Which version of DBI should I be using.
> I mean if any one of you could give me exact pointers to it,
> would be highly appreciated.

Yes, perl(DBI) is the canonical way to connect to a database
from Perl. You will need the DBD::Pg driver too.
Both modules can be obtained from CPAN (e.g. http://www.cpan.org),
maybe there are even binary packages for your operating
system available.
I'd use the latest stable version.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
"Jasbinder Singh Bali"
Date:
Hi,
Whats the difference between a module and a bundle as i can see while downloading DBI from
CPAN website.
What exactly needs to be downloaded . I'm kind of not sure about it.
Thanks,
Jas

Date:
Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
>>> Trying to connect to it throught perl code.
>>> Just wondering if DBI would be the best tool to use to
>>> accomplish this task.
>>> Which version of DBI should I be using.
>>> I mean if any one of you could give me exact pointers to it,
>>> would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Yes, perl(DBI) is the canonical way to connect to a database
>> from Perl. You will need the DBD::Pg driver too.
>> Both modules can be obtained from CPAN (e.g. http://www.cpan.org ),
>> maybe there are even binary packages for your operating
>> system available.
>> I'd use the latest stable version.
>
> Whats the difference between a module and a bundle as i can
> see while downloading DBI from CPAN website.
> What exactly needs to be downloaded . I'm kind of not sure about it.

I have never heard of a 'bundle' in context with Perl but that may
be because I know little about Perl.

DBI can be got from
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBI/DBI-1.53.tar.gz
and DBD-Pg is on
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBD/DBD-Pg-1.49.tar.gz

This is the source code.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: DBI module for postgres 1.4.3

From
AgentM
Date:
On Dec 7, 2006, at 6:00 , Albe Laurenz wrote:

> Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
>>
>> Whats the difference between a module and a bundle as i can
>> see while downloading DBI from CPAN website.
>> What exactly needs to be downloaded . I'm kind of not sure about it.
>
> I have never heard of a 'bundle' in context with Perl but that may
> be because I know little about Perl.
>
> DBI can be got from
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBI/DBI-1.53.tar.gz
> and DBD-Pg is on
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/DBD/DBD-Pg-1.49.tar.gz

A "bundle" is merely a collection of modules that are often used
together. For example, installing "Bundle::DBI" installs a bunch of
DBI drivers and tools.
http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.53/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm

-M