Please help.-- unable to load xxid.so

From
Ashish Karalkar
Date:
I am having PostgreSQL 8.1.5 binary loaded on linux
machine.
I am using Slony 1.2.1 for replication database.Bothe
master and slave will be on localhost, while
configuring the database I am getting following error
massage.
 could not load library "/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so":
/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so: failed to map segment from
shared object: Permission denied

Function xxid.so is there in the /usr/lib/pgsql
directory stil its unable to load.

Can any one please help me which shared object it is
refering to...

With Regards
Ashish Karalkar

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

Re: Please help.-- unable to load xxid.so

From
Chris
Date:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> I am having PostgreSQL 8.1.5 binary loaded on linux
> machine.
> I am using Slony 1.2.1 for replication database.Bothe
> master and slave will be on localhost, while
> configuring the database I am getting following error
> massage.
>  could not load library "/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so":
> /usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so: failed to map segment from
> shared object: Permission denied
>
> Function xxid.so is there in the /usr/lib/pgsql
> directory stil its unable to load.
>
> Can any one please help me which shared object it is
> refering to...

Check permissions on the file. The postgres user will need to be able to
read it (at least) - not sure whether it needs to own the file but it
can't hurt..

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: Please help.-- unable to load xxid.so

From
Ashish Karalkar
Date:
Thanks Chris ,
I ahve checked the permissions on the xxid.so file and
it ids having all permission i.e. 0777
I think its not getting the permission from the object
which xxid.so is refering, any idea which object it is
refering....

With Regards
Ashish Karalkar

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Date:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Thanks Chris ,
> I ahve checked the permissions on the xxid.so file and
> it ids having all permission i.e. 0777
> I think its not getting the permission from the object
> which xxid.so is refering, any idea which object it is
> refering....

Are you running SeLinux by any chance? That could be an issue..

or maybe try:

ldd xxid.so

to see what xxid.so is trying to use.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: Please help.-- unable to load xxid.so

From
Ashish Karalkar
Date:
I am using Redhat Linux 4
Now the problem is solved.I installed Postgres 8.1.5
from source code previously it was installed using rpm
on slave machine.

but then i am having one problem :
I am left with following details
I am having two machine

1)Master machine :
Redhat linux
PostgreSQL 8.1.5 -- installed using RPM
Slony 1.2.1---installed using Source code

1)Slave machine :
Redhat linux
PostgreSQL 8.1.5 -- installed using source code
Slony 1.2.1---installed using Source code.

Its running fine now. but will there be any problem in
future  as the master and slave PostgreSQL server are
installed using diffrent pacakage i.e. master with RPM
and slave with  source code?

I know this is not the solution but for time being its
working fine.

also could you please suggest me if I installed
PostgreSQL with RPM on redhat Linux then which object
was that xxid.so (failed to map segemnt from shared
object -permission denied)function was refering ?

with regards
Ashish Karalkar

--- Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> > Thanks Chris ,
> > I ahve checked the permissions on the xxid.so file
> and
> > it ids having all permission i.e. 0777
> > I think its not getting the permission from the
> object
> > which xxid.so is refering, any idea which object
> it is
> > refering....
>
> Are you running SeLinux by any chance? That could be
> an issue..
>
> or maybe try:
>
> ldd xxid.so
>
> to see what xxid.so is trying to use.
>
> --
> Postgresql & php tutorials
> http://www.designmagick.com/

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index

[ANN] VTD-XML 1.8

From
"Jimmy Zhang"
Date:
Version 1.8 of VTD-XML is now released. The new features are:

·        XMLModifier is a easy to use class that takes advantage of the
incremental update capability offered by VTD-XML

·        XPath built-in functions are now almost complete

·        This release added encoding support for iso-8859-2~10, windows code
page 1250~1258

·        Added various functions to autoPilot that evaluate XPath to string,
number and boolean

·        This release also fixes a number of XPath bugs related to string
handling

To download the latest release please visit http://vtd-xml.sf.net