How to find release notes

From
Russ Brown
Date:
Hi,

I'm looking at www.postgrsql.org and wondering how to find the release
notes for 8.1.2.

I can see the link for the 8.1.2 release, but that just links to a
directory of the release tarballs. Actually, all that would be needed
here would be a text file in that directory containing the release
notes.

My reasoning for wanting the release notes if to decide if a) I
actually need to upgrade from 8.1.1 and b) if there are any special
upgrade steps I need to perform.

Finding release notes is one thing I've always struggled with when it
comes to PostrgreSQL. I'm sure that the information it there, it just
seems to be rather difficult to get to from the site homepage. Any
chance it could be made a little easier?

Thanks.

--

Russ

Re: How to find release notes

From
Adam Witney
Date:
On 2/2/06 3:56 pm, "Russ Brown" <pickscrape@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at www.postgrsql.org and wondering how to find the release
> notes for 8.1.2.
>
> I can see the link for the 8.1.2 release, but that just links to a
> directory of the release tarballs. Actually, all that would be needed
> here would be a text file in that directory containing the release
> notes.
>
> My reasoning for wanting the release notes if to decide if a) I
> actually need to upgrade from 8.1.1 and b) if there are any special
> upgrade steps I need to perform.
>
> Finding release notes is one thing I've always struggled with when it
> comes to PostrgreSQL. I'm sure that the information it there, it just
> seems to be rather difficult to get to from the site homepage. Any
> chance it could be made a little easier?

They're under the documentation, in Appendix E

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/release.html

believed to be clean.

Re: How to find release notes

From
Adam Witney
Date:
On 2/2/06 4:06 pm, "Russ Brown" <pickscrape@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, there is it. Thanks! Just me not looking hard enough.
>
> However, I would argue that I shouldn't have to look so hard. I
> instinctively went for the 8.1.2 release link, and I think there should
> be a link to the release notes right there along with it.
>
> Just my opinion though. :)

Well the "Whats new in 8.1" link is on the front page, although a link to
the Release Notes on that page (whatsnew) could be handy?

believed to be clean.

Re: How to find release notes

From
Russ Brown
Date:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:15:43 +0000
Adam Witney <awitney@sgul.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 2/2/06 4:06 pm, "Russ Brown" <pickscrape@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ah, there is it. Thanks! Just me not looking hard enough.
> >
> > However, I would argue that I shouldn't have to look so hard. I
> > instinctively went for the 8.1.2 release link, and I think there
> > should be a link to the release notes right there along with it.
> >
> > Just my opinion though. :)
>
> Well the "Whats new in 8.1" link is on the front page, although a
> link to the Release Notes on that page (whatsnew) could be handy?

Yes, and that's fantastic because it's very clear and easy to find.
However, it's for 8.1 only. I was looking for 8.1.2 specifically.

I suppose what I'm saying is that for someone who isn't familiar with
the layout of the site it's a bit difficult to find the release notes
for any given version of PostgreSQL as things stand.

Maybe even just one release notes link somewhere on the front page to
the full list would suffice? In fact, the 'Shortcuts' list of links
could be the perfect place for it.

--

Russ

Re: How to find release notes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Russ Brown wrote:
> Yes, and that's fantastic because it's very clear and easy to find.
> However, it's for 8.1 only. I was looking for 8.1.2 specifically.
>
> I suppose what I'm saying is that for someone who isn't familiar with
> the layout of the site it's a bit difficult to find the release notes
> for any given version of PostgreSQL as things stand.

I was going to say that you type in "8.1.2 release notes" in the search
box, but that actually gives you the 7.1.2 release notes as first hit.

--
Peter Eisentraut